Windows Installer Pops Up Every Time I Open My Computer

Reaction score
How do I fix Windows Installer from popping up every time I open my computer? I keep receiving Error 1706: No valid source can be found for Redist . I'm using Windows 10. Please help I have no idea where this came from.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No valid source can be found for Redist
Just gonna guess here, but....
That may be related to an application that you've installed (and may be running at startup) that requires an installation of the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable"
Check here.... Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
for any installed program that contains the word "Redistributable"
Select it and click the "Change" button and choose "Repair"
OR....
Check Task Manager -> Startup Tab
Disable everything there and reboot the system and see if the problem persists.
IF not then, re-enable them one at a time, rebooting after each change and see if you can figure out which one is producing your issues.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. As i was going through my Control Panel to repair my Redistridutable Programs I noticed a few (x86) Programs I have (x64) bit. Should I delete those and reinstall the correct Redistributable file for(x64) bit?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would not be my recommendation.
The bit version of your Operating System has nothing to do with it.
You will often see both 32 and 64 bit versions of the redistributable as well as different date / year branding, as might be required by the version (32 or 64 bit) of the program you have installed that requires it.
I don't see an upside to removing them as they do not typically consume much space or system resources, unless......
You can specifically identify which ones you need versus don't need.

Reaction score
I tried as you suggested, but unfortunately the problem is still there. If you have any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose we should start with....
every time I open my computer?
What exactly do you mean by "open my computer"???

Did you disable all your startup items as I suggested above?
Have you looked at Scheduled Tasks to see what might be firing up as triggered by a logon or startup event?

Can you use the native snipping tool to capture an image of the exact error as it is produced on your screen?

Ask a Question