Windows Live Mail Does Not Close Properly

Reaction score
Hi, when using windows live mail in windows 10, closing windows live mail is not completed. In task manager i see windows live mail still active at low level. Then windows live mail won't start again unless complete PC restart.
At present I use windows task manager to close windows live mail and then can restart windows live mail.

Attachments

• windows live mail close down problem.pdf
    205.5 KB · Views: 639
Reaction score
my Windows Live Mail only shows one entry in Task Manager (when running), when I close it, nothing is showing in Task Manager

check your File Explorer, Main Hardrive (probably C), search (top right) for wlmail.exe
my search just shows one, Mail (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live)

I right clicked that wlmail & 'Pin to Start', then I opened start & right clicked the 'Windows Live Mail' icon & selected 'Pin to Taskbar'

I open my windows Live Mail from the Taskbar, minimise it, so I get alerts for new mail (close it from the X top right)

if you have more than one wlmail.exe in your search, you may need to uninstall/repair your Windows Live Essentials,
in Control Panel, Programs & Features

Uninstall or repair Windows Essential programs
Any open Windows Essentials programs will be closed automatically

Remove one or more Windows Essentials programs

Repair all Windows Essentials programs

Reaction score
Hi Bret,
that your windowsLM shows one entry is as what I had before this error occured.

When waiting around 10 minutes, the search on wlmail.exe was completed and found several results as shown in the added file. There is only one wlmail.exe .
Maybe the error arises because of a message of windows live mail that it cannot send or receive messages for one of my outlook accounts. ( the error number 0x80004005 is not popular knowledge.) I set up this account to share info with a other person, trying to use the same mail address for back-up purposes. Should I just cancel this account?

I did do the other efforts you suggested, without results.

Attachments

• windows live mail close down problem.pdf
    447.4 KB · Views: 468
Reaction score
Hi Bret,
that your windowsLM shows one entry is as what I had before this error occured.

When waiting around 10 minutes, the search on wlmail.exe was completed and found several results as shown in the added file. There is only one wlmail.exe .
Maybe the error arises because of a message of windows live mail that it cannot send or receive messages for one of my outlook accounts. ( the error number 0x80004005 is not popular knowledge.) I set up this account to share info with a other person, trying to use the same mail address for back-up purposes. Should I just cancel this account?

I did do the other efforts you suggested, without results.

check the problem account settings :
File, Options, @ Email Accounts,
highlight a good account, Properties, make a note of the entries in General, Server, Security,

then check the problem account, Properties, check the General, Server & Security entries for any obvious errors,

if you can find none,
try removing the problem account, reboot your pc, then check if the problem still occurs,

if the problem is cleared,
you could try adding the problem account in again

you don't state if you are using IMAP or POP3,
whichever you are using, try changing to the other,

Ask a Question