SOLVED Windows update loopage

Reaction score
Well, this morning I am greeted by a massive update list on the main rig, click update and let it do its thing. I had installed my own Office 2013 off CD, so I expected the updates. It did the normal restart now or later thing. I restarted, no sign of updating or any messages when shutting down and rebooting. Then I get another friendly reminder to restart again.

And again the same thing.

My laptop got the same updates yesterday and no problems. For kicks I checked for updates and Windows informed me I am totally up to date.

Windows 10, I feel like a pig in a lab having technicians poke an prod me to see what my reaction would be.

Never had such annoying problems with 7, EVER.

Anyway, I did some searching here and found some suggestions, none of them worked. I ran the windows supplied troubleshooter, sez everything is okay???????

Feeling like a guinea pig.

Hopefully someone will have a solution...

Burp...

Adding, the laptop is Win10 home clean install, the main rig is Win10 Pro upgraded from Win7 Ultimate 64 bit...

Updateness: Even though the troubleshooter found no problems, I restarted after it ran and the restart notification has now disappeared after booting. Weird Windows stuff....so it solved itself I guess...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Obviously you have never had the joy of using an original W7 CD to install on a computer years later than the original release!

2 or three service packs and a zillion updates all needing a restart and sucking up your internet bandwidth .

Reaction score
au contraire, I have been involved with 'puters since the early 80's, first it was main frames in the banking industry, Dos floppies, remote workstation tied to the main frame. First computer was a Packard Hell in the early nineties with XP. Most miserable experience with computer hardware failure ever. That is when I decided to build my own. Kept with XP until Windows 7 had rolled out the SP1. Then I started cloning to a spare HD and have been doing that ever since just to make stuff easier when the time came. Over clocking was king back then, lots of explosions because of pushing the envelope. You learn. No need to push the envelope anymore, I still build my own but keep it pretty simple.

So, to answer your statement, no, I never worked with the original Win7 without SP1. When I behaved, the Win7 OS behaved when properly set up. The only thing over the years that got me was a virus or three because of questionable downloading, and my Microsoft&Mail account has been stolen twice, most recently on the 9th of this month, took me 29 minutes to get it back, right after setting up my new laptop. The first time that happened it took three months to rip it back, and had the pleasure of changing all my online business accounts to reflect the new account, a real pain.

Again, Win10 is an ongoing circus of WTF.

Now to run my weekly SFC /scannow followed by the DISM sequence, it is in regular fubar every week.

Ah, the joys of Win10...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this a hallelujah moment or what? For the first time since in place upgrading from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro I am happy to report that the weekly sfc /scannow came back clean.

I have to contain myself....

Hats off to the 5.25" floppy days.

Now to figure out how to get Messenger to work again in Windows 10, thousands of users are dead in the water now, the app just quit working the beginning of August, not all at the same time, but close. Methinks a Micro$oft update got in the way.... and Verizon is no help whatsoever, head in the sand mentality...they need to talk to each other, the dang app came from the Windows Store...

Last edited:

Ask a Question