SOLVED Any way to disable forced updating?

Reaction score
I tried the TP when it initially came out, and while it was certainly an improvement over 8.x, it had some issues that made me go back to 8.

The most glaring one was the forced update function. Oftentimes, I'd postpone the updating because I was in the middle of something, and then Windows would simply power down on me later at an equally inconvenient time. I hope the idiots in Redmond don't include this in the final product.

I found a couple of registry tweaks online that were supposed to remove the forced updating, but neither of them worked. Has anyone found a way to do it?

As always, I like to run up-to-date systems, but I prefer to decide for myself when to run updates.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's in the same place as 7/8/8.1

Go to control panel,system&security/system/on left hand side click advanced system settings/hardware tab/then look for "device installation settings/click that/select "No, let me choose what to do/save changes......good to go.

Reaction score
It's in the same place as 7/8/8.1

Go to control panel,system&security/system/on left hand side click advanced system settings/hardware tab/then look for "device installation settings/click that/select "No, let me choose what to do/save changes......good to go.
Can you confirm that this actually disables automatic updates, as opposed to allowing me to postpone the forced reboot by 8 hours and then a subsequent 15 minutes?

I don't have 10 TP installed atm so I cannot test it, but my understanding was that it did not work, which is why there are registry hacks online in the first place.

Reaction score
No, that will not do the trick. The item is only related to drivers and cosmetic features. The major updates to the OS build will continue.There are a couple of hacks on the web. Here is one of many
https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

But, a word of warning. The " the idiots in Redmond" , require everyone to be on the same plateau, when volunteering for the test program, otherwise the feedback will be erratic and often in error. This applies also to any reistry hacks or, let us say, "behind the scenes" alterations, otherwise, as I said, the feedback gives a wrong result. As you are testing a pre release product, you do not, in fact, have any exclusive rights as to the use and modification of the system.

There were warnings of the conditions in original blurbs. Noone, of course, ever bothers to read such. The fact is that you do not, in a test product, have very much authority over what you can do with "hacking" mods.Here is an extract of the initial warning issued to insiders who wanted to participate:

"If you are shy about expressing your opinion, this program is not for you. Microsoft’s main motivation behind making pre-release versions of the OS available to anyone interested in test-driving them is to hear back from them regarding what they don’t like, what’s not working right, how things can be improved and so on.
Also, you should be comfortable with letting Microsoft poke around your system. If your PC runs into problems, Microsoft may examine your system files, and grab and transmit data to its systems, in some cases without alerting you nor giving you the option of stopping the information transfer.

Specifically, after installing the OS, Microsoft will collect information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and how you use them. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage, . Peruse this privacy statement carefully so you know what you’re agreeing to.

In addition, Windows Update will be set to automatically install important updates on your PC as they become available. You will not be able to turn off automatic updates in Windows Technical Preview.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're absolutely right of course, and it makes sense that in order to get useful feedback they'd need everyone on the latest build, instead of having bug reports coming in that have been patched already. My only gripe with the way this is implemented is that since it's a tech preview and not a consumer beta, I'd like to see more flexibility in this regard. The update process was consistently failing on my machine. It would forcibly power down the machine, install the updates, claim that it had failed, roll them back, and on the next logon I would get a black screen with a cursor which would respond to no other input except Ctrl-Alt-Delete which I had to use to sign off and then sign back in again to gain access to my desktop. This it would repeat every. single. day.

I just don't like things that prevent me from using my computer, but I suppose these are privileges you relinquish when you use alpha or beta software.

cpy

Reaction score
So MS will now restart my pc without me being able to prevent it? Great this is what everyone wanted in os, useless restart and lost work, screw this new fail OS. Update without restart or GTFO!

Reaction score
Since Windows 10 is still just a technical preview I can understand why Microsoft wants to exercise some control over updates. They need to know if the update is going to work on as wide a range of equipment as possible. Very soon now the final build will be released and people the world over will be installing it so it better be ready for prime time. I imagine that a lot of the hacking problems today are the result of people neglecting to install security and other updates which leaves their machines vulnerable. Microsoft may return the option to delay or refuse updates when Windows 10 is released but it wouldn't surprise me if they retain the mandatory updates. As far as restarts go this statement is included on the update page: Keep everything running smoothly. We'll restart your device automatically when you're not using it. Updates won't download over a metered connection (where charges may apply). I've not had an auto reboot occur while I've been using the computer.

cpy

Reaction score
Who are you trying to bullshit here? I'm doing some work on my pc, I leave my work open and leave for the day. Next day i come to work and everything is lost because windows decided to restart it. I want to restart my pc when i want! What is this BS they're trying to pull here? How do they know i'm not using it? I want to hear how they decide when i'm not using it.

Reaction score
There is nobody in the Microsoft building monitoring whether or not your computer is in use or not to schedule a restart. It's a function built into the OS and is probably the same bit of code that activates sleep or hibernation when the computer has been idle for a specified period of time. As I recall there is a notification that a restart has been scheduled and a time for the restart is included. Leaving work open after closing time does not seem like a good idea since any number of things such as a power outage could corrupt or cause loss of data and the fact that Windows 10 is just a preview means the whole system could crash with a resultant complete loss of data. Its your machine and you can do with it as you please but knowing there will be an auto update and reboot when the machine is idle would seem to be reason enough to close and save any work in progress before you leave for the night.

Reaction score
CPY. If you followed the thread, you would see that it is possible to delay the update restart procedure.

Setting - Update and Security - Advanced options.

Click the top panel, and you will be given an alternative option "Notify to schedule restart". This option is included so that you may delay it until you are not anticipating any work program, particularly in the case of a large update, which would inhibit your use of the computers until finished. The delay is not, however, infinite. The computer will restart after a 12 hour period, so the choice remains with you during that delay period.

It is quite easy for the OS to detect key strokes etc - ie, detect you are using it. It has had this capability for several years.

The reasons for the update are clearly stated by Dipsy. If you feel affronted or unable to accept this, then read my outlined type in my earlier post and decide if it would not be better for you to await the final release.
P.S.
Sorry Dipsy, I wrote this whilst you were posting.

cpy

Reaction score
I have my notebook running 24/7 that have its own battery inside + backup external UPS, so yeah it's pretty important to me that some tasks keep running all the time, especially when i want to connect to work from home and do some work. Also there is scripted macro that does not restart itself, so it must be manually started so after restart it would ruin my day, also there is web server, ftp server, eset remote administrator DB, so yeah this automatic restart thing is real pain if i decide to roll with the update. How about VM running on it? Does it detect activity from VM?

Reaction score
From your post, it appears that you are running this early OS, which is still in the testing and modification stage, as you principal OS?

There have ben countless warnings that this is a very unwise practise. Best to keep it, at this stage, in a separate environment where the idiosyncrasies will not disturb you daily work.

cpy

Reaction score
I run windows 7. I'm just asking about windows 10 before doing switch when it gets released.

Reaction score
I run windows 7. I'm just asking about windows 10 before doing switch when it gets released.
I've had the same question on another forum. It is believed that the automatic updating will become a choice after release. Some say this is the way Windows 8 was done, automatic updating until release.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I get verification that in the (free update) release there will be delay ability?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The latest information that I have heard is that the actual download will happen in the background and that you will be made aware that is is available to be installed.
As far as I know, it will be at a time of your choosing when the actual update is applied, but I'm not absolutely certain.
With only 10 days remaining it would be nice if the information was made explicitly available.

Reaction score
Yeah, so what I found out: If you have the pro edition you can delay, with home you can not. If you are running pro/ultimate now when you update you will be put into pro edition of win 10. If you are running home Premium (8.1 with bing) or lower then you will be put into home 10 which has no option to delay.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...upgrade-matrix-which-version-you-get-for-free
http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-editions-heres-how-to-tell-which-is-for-you/
http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-10-editions

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yeah, so what I found out: If you have the pro edition you can delay, with home you can not
I believe that information pertains to the way that "Windows 10 Updates" will behave on a particular edition (Pro or Home) after Windows 10 is actually installed on the system and not to the actual "Upgrade to Windows 10".
If you reserved your copy of Windows 10, we will notify you once our compatibility work confirms you will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on your system.
SOURCE: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-10-preparing-to-upgrade-one-billion-devices/

Reaction score
"Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade."-https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq
This suggests that you get to chose when the actual conversion from you previous os to win 10 will be after the 29th and within 1 year but that it will download the "update" whenever it becomes available in the background.
But my question and this forum thread was about how "Windows 10 Updates" will behave. As it turns out that will be determined by the edition, which in the free "upgrade" is determined by the edition you are currently running..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You question was..... or at least seemed to be to me,
Can I get verification that in the (free update) release there will be delay ability?
Sorry if I misunderstood.
You are correct that.....
Windows Home version will not be able to defer "updates", at least not until enough people complain, or until the first time that an update cripples the OS, as has happened before.

Ask a Question