SOLVED Can't Rename Files?

Reaction score
Okay. I've been trying to mod Don't Starve Together, and after finishing some dialogue for the character, the next step was to rename files in the images for the template. But while trying to do that, i noticed that there just wasn't any option to rename it. My editing program is closed, and everything except my browser, the explorer, and my discord is as well. There's not any kind of error message, the option to rename the files just is not there. Whether I right click, click and then click again, or click and press F2 nothing happens. The right click menu only brings up open, cut, copy, delete, and properties-nothing else. How do I fix this?

Reaction score
After a bit more thought, I've thought it was something about me not being the owner of the files, or something like that? I checked my Pictures folder and confirmed it..my question has changed slightly: How do I give myself access to the file?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alyssa,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the default Pictures folder you see in File Explorer, or a folder that was created with your particular program/game that you are currently modding.

Nevertheless, the principal would be the same, so I'll use the default Pictures folder to illustrate.

If you right-click on the folder and select Properties a new window will pop open.

In this new window, select the Security tab then click the Advanced button.

That will open the Advanced security settings for Pictures folder window like so:

owner.png

Before going further, can you confirm for me who the Current Owner is for your Pictures folder.

Reaction score
It is me. (alyssa ). Thank you very much for being willing to respond! However, a few hours after the problem started, it seemed to fix itself, and I am currently working on creating the visuals for the character. Once again, thank you for responding, and I do feel welcome

Edited: I've removed your surname and email address to protect you from Spammers who occasionally target our Forum.

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh ok.

Well glad its working for you then.

Windows 10 can be a little dodgy at times and sometimes minor changes take a while to stick.

Occasionally, going to Task Manager, scrolling to bottom of window and right-clicking on Windows Explorer, then select Restart will cause changes to stick quickly. Other times, a restart of the computer allows the change to stick.

Thanks for letting us know its resolved.

Reaction score
HI @Regedit32 ,

should you not remove the E-Mail address showing above?, its a lovely target for spammers!. :(

Edit: Thank you Wolfie for pointing that out.

Ask a Question