Can't see NAS in Explorer?

Reaction score
I have a WD My Cloud NAS and it has worked fine on all Win10 builds up till now. Today I have Win10 10240 RTM and after a clean install, file explorer shows a device on my Network called something like WIN-T687HM07IAL but not the normal WD device or its folders.

The WD device is accessible via the WD Cloud softare so the connection (ethernet/router) is correct.

There must be something in my Win10 setup I'm missing. Help please?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
How is the NAS connected to your PC? Did you have connected to your PC during the upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi. Ethernet and the hardware has all remained connected throught my various build upgrades and the latest install which retained all settings etc.

Reaction score
Sorry don't understand why you think I'm using two connections?. I have my router/NAS on a single ethernet into my PC and that hasn't changed, only the OS.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Because I asked you how is it connected to your PC and your replied "Ethernet", which is why I asked did your mobo have 2 NIC's.

Normally those portable NAS drives are connected to the PC via USB for personal storage or connected to the router via Ethernet cable for network accessibility storage.

Reaction score
Sorry if I hadn't made it clear. The NAS is connected via the router (or vice versa) to my PC on Ethernet. Would it be better on a USB? Too slow surely? Anyway originally it was to provide remote accessability although I don't bother now, it is just a backup device now.

Reaction score
Because I asked you how is it connected to your PC and your replied "Ethernet", which is why I asked did your mobo have 2 NIC's.

Normally those portable NAS drives are connected to the PC via USB for personal storage or connected to the router via Ethernet cable for network accessibility storage.

I'm not trying to be rude, but NAS (by definition) stands for "Network attached storage" so if it's connected via USB or direct to the pc in any way, it's just a portable hard drive.

I share the OP's issue though, ever since the latest win10 update I can no longer access the WD MyCloud device on my network, except using the (terrible) WD desktop app.

I've tried turning off windows firewall, turning network discovery on and off, and a myriad of other things while googling around for a solution but so far, I've had zero success. anyone else having this issue? anyone know of a potential fix?

edit: to include that I have two laptops on older builds of win10 that can still see the thing without issue.. it definitely seems like an issue in the latest build? the device has a static ip set, which I can also ping, but am just unable to see the device in windows explorer, and //ip/share, //ip, and //nameofdevice do not work, the latter two open the config page in the edge browser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude, but NAS (by definition) stands for "Network attached storage" so if it's connected via USB or direct to the pc in any way, it's just a portable hard drive.

I share the OP's issue though, ever since the latest win10 update I can no longer access the WD MyCloud device on my network, except using the (terrible) WD desktop app.

I've tried turning off windows firewall, turning network discovery on and off, and a myriad of other things while googling around for a solution but so far, I've had zero success. anyone else having this issue? anyone know of a potential fix?

edit: to include that I have two laptops on older builds of win10 that can still see the thing without issue.. it definitely seems like an issue in the latest build? the device has a static ip set, which I can also ping, but am just unable to see the device in windows explorer, and //ip/share, //ip, and //nameofdevice do not work, the latter two open the config page in the edge browser.
I agree about the NAS! Anyway my Win10 now does see the WD device on my network on ethernet. I can even map a drive to it now and file explorer can open that drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Win10 now does see the WD device on my network on ethernet.
I'm wondering if one of the most recent Windows Updates for this most current build is responsible for the apparent fix?
I was having some minor issues with my mouse pointer in some third party applications, especially the "precision select" in PaintDotNet. That seems to have automagically gone away also.

Reaction score
I do see an update available, about to restart to update and test! here's hoping, thanks :)

yessss!! the latest "security fix" update seems to have addressed it, back in business finally!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was watching a movie off my NAS (it's connected via ethernet to my router) last night, and when I tried to load another movie, the NAS was no longer found. None of the online NAS drives were present. There wasn't an update last night that I know of (I had already installed the 6 August cumulative update the day before).

I tried turning Network Discovery on, but after saving the settings and going back to look at it, it keeps turning itself back off. Can't figure it out.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, though for me the NAS is accessible when the system boots up, but becomes undiscoverable after it has been on for some time. This effectively means restarting my system any time I want to access it. The above fix doesn't change this sadly :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If something on your network becomes unavailable over time, then......
You may want to check the properties of the network adapters involved.
Open device manager, expand network adapters, right click or double click the network adapter you are using and check the power management tab. Make sure you uncheck the box that says something about "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save....."

Reaction score
If something on your network becomes unavailable over time, then......
You may want to check the properties of the network adapters involved.
Open device manager, expand network adapters, right click or double click the network adapter you are using and check the power management tab. Make sure you uncheck the box that says something about "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save....."

Thankyou for the response; my NAS doesn't appear under network adapters, it seems. Also, it remains accessible to other devices even when this one loses it. I am looking for options in control panel but I don't really know what I am doing. There DOES seem to be continued access to something related to the NAS called 'Twonky Server', but I have no idea what that is :/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A NAS, by definition is a Network Attached Storage device, so of course it's not listed in device manager under adapters, but.....
The network adapter you use to communicate with the NAS is.

Reaction score
Some NAS devices have specific servers available if configured. Such thing as iTunes may be available and Twonky may be related to Roku or some type of media streaming server.

You should be able to see such things if you go to the admin page on the NAS. But I agree with trouble in that if a device is not accessed for long periods it might drop off the grid. Refreshing the network listings or resetting NAS might help.

NAS.JPG

Reaction score
Can't see NAS drives in your network on Windows 10? Here is the solution:
1/ run cmd as admin
2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and you are done!

Thanks for the tip ... worked like a charm !

Ask a Question