Control panel not working

Reaction score
I can't get control panel to work. Can't access programs or features. No response & window closes on its own.

Reaction score
Novice, your most likely cause is a corrupted file.

1) Try using System Restore.
2) Go into Run, (Windows key + R) and type sfc /scannow
3) I assume that you installed 10 on top of a legal copy of Windows; otherwise, MS did it to you deliberately.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi PcNovice,

The Control Panel deciding not to work has been an ongoing issue for some Windows 10 users now for over 1 year.

The root cause of this issue seems to vary for individuals and as a result a number of possible solutions exist.

The first question is what Build of Windows 10 are you using at the moment?
  • To confirm this simply type winver in your search box and press enter
  • If you can let the forum know whether you are on Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164) or something earlier that will be helpful.

The next thing to do is a basic test as to whether your Start-up is running some application that is interfering with your Control Panel. You can test this by booting into Safe Mode or Clean Boot your computer and see whether or not the Control Panel works. Personally I'd recommend a Clean Boot test. If you are not sure how to do this then see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 (Microsoft provide clear instructions on how to start up with a Clean Boot).
  • If your Control Panel works in a Clean Boot state, then one or more of the programs starting up as Windows Boots is the root cause of your issue. To work out which one you will need to allow each start-up to load (one at a time) and test whether Control Panel still works. Obviously if it does not work you have found a start-up you will want to for now disable, until you can find a solution for it.

If the above Clean Boot test fails to resolve your Control Panel issue there is one further basic test you can do check whether or not the Control Panel has become corrupted, and if so, what component in particular is corrupted. To do this do the following:
  • Press Winkey + R
  • In the window that opens type %SystemRoot%\System32
  • Click OK or Press Enter key
  • In the folder that opens type the following into the search box at the top right of window:
    • *.cpl
    • Press enter key
  • The window will now populate with all the Control Panel (.CPL) components. Scroll down and locate appwiz.cpl and double-click this to see whether it opens your main Control Panel.
    • If this does not open your main Control Panel then press Winkey + X | now select Control Panel
    • If your Control panel still refuses to open one or more of the Control Panel components are corrupted.
  • Inside your System32 folder you can try double-clicking the other .CPL files present to see which ones open and which ones do not open. The ones that refuse to open make a note of as these are more than likely the corrupted components. Post to forum any you find refuse to open as this may assist in helping you resolve this issue.

OK at this point its time to close the System32 folder and move on to the next step; A System File Check.
  • Press Winkey + X | then select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • If prompted click Yes
  • You'll be in an Administrator: Command Prompt console. At the prompt type the following:
    • SFC /SCANNOW
    • Press your Enter key to execute the above command
  • Note: This scan will take several minutes. Be patient!
  • At the completion of the scan restart computer to allow any System repair work done to take affect.
  • If you Control Panel is now working great. If not then its time to move on to next step.

OK so your control panel is still not working after a System File Check scan. This is where we enter the world of multiple solutions that have worked for some users but unfortunately not all users facing this issue. So its a case of trial and error to see which one will help you.

Method 1 - File Association

You would normally do this via your Control Panel but as a work around lets make use of IE 11
  • Press Winkey + I to open your Settings Window
  • Click System | then in left pane click Default Apps
  • Now in the right pane scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type
  • Scroll down till in left column you see .cpl
    • To the right of .cpl you should see Windows Control Panel
    • If you do not see this click on what is there and change to "Windows Control Panel"

• If you are unable to do this here you can also try the same by:
    • Press Winkey + R | type INETCPL.CPL | click OK | Click Programs tab | Click Set associations button

If neither option works then you can correct file association by editing the Registry.

• I've attached the file cpl_file_assoc.reg
  • Save this to your desktop
  • Right click | select merge
  • Click YES or OK as prompted
  • Restart computer

If control panel starts working now nothing more to do. If not time for Method 2.

Method 2 - Scaling of App Display

For some users who have adjusted the scale of their display, resetting this to 100% has helped resolve the Control Panel not working. You may have rescaled yourself or a 3rd party program may have done this automatically (for example a game).
  • In your search box type Change the size of apps on the screen
  • Press Enter key
  • Reset to 100% then click Apply
If this does not help then its on to Method 3

Method 3 - Removal of BagMRU and Bags cache from Registry

This has proven to be more of a temporary solution for some users. That is, it can resolve the Control panel issue, but then a few days later the issue returns and you need to repeat this step.

Before doing this step make a System Restore Point
  • In search box type Create a restore point | press enter key
  • Click on System Protection tab
  • Click Create button
  • Enter a name and date to help you remember this is a restore point before edit of Registry

Once done you will open and edit your Registry:
  • Press Winkey + R
  • Type regedit | click OK or press Enter key
  • In the left pane expand the keys to this location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>SOFTWARE
>Classes
>Local Settings
>Software
>Microsoft
>Windows
>Shell​
  • In left pane expand Shell to view its subkeys
  • Right click on BagMRU | select Delete
  • Right click on Bags | select Delete
  • Press F5
  • Close Registry Editor
  • Restart computer
As all ready stated this method may provide a temporary fix to the Control Panel issue. If it does you may need to repeat this method occasionally until a more permanent solution is provided by Microsoft.

Well that is all I can offer at this time in terms of possible methods to test and correct the troubles.

Other than the above methods your only other options I can think of are:
  1. Start | Settings | Update & Security | (in left pane) Recovery | (in right pane) Reset this PC
  2. Try the following suggested by Trouble here > https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/control-panel-not-working.6936/
Trouble stated in part the following:
--- quote starts ---

You may want to attempt an in-place upgrade / repair install. Upgrading Windows 10 by installing it over top of itself.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

If you do not have the installation media....
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, or simply mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.
Choose upgrade and make sure the box is ticked to obtain updates as part of the upgrade process.

--- end quote ---

Personal note: I've used the in-place upgrade suggested by Trouble myself, albeit to resolve a different issue (Windows Store app not working well). The process altogether took me about 1 hour 45 minutes. This resolved my issue and allowed me to save my other files and settings which was great. The thing to note is how long it takes to do this: make sure should you choose this path that you do it at a time you are sure your ISP will not disconnect you from internet, and at a time you can afford to keep an eye on the progress of the downloads and actual installation of Windows over the top of itself.

Well let us know how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32

Attachments

• cpl_file_assoc.reg
    1.2 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've attached the file cpl_file_assoc.reg

It just occurred to me some guests might download the REG file I uploaded to play with their registry on another edition of Windows OS.

The file provided will reset the Control Panel Component Registry Keys to their default status.

The cpl_file_assoc.reg file I provided will work on Window XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Please Note though: If you intend using this on Windows XP you must first edit the file by doing the following:
  • Right click on cpl_file_assoc.reg
  • Select Edit
  • If a security window opens click Run
  • The file will open inside a notepad or you default text editor. Locate the following instruction:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile]
@="Control Panel Item"​
  • That second line needs to be changed to read as follows:
@="Control Panel Extension"​
  • Now click File | Save

Normally I'd be recommending setting a restore point before editing the Registry or at the very least backing up the Registry keys being edited; however the default status is how all of the keys being edited ought to remain permanently. The reason for using the REG file is when you believe malicious software or your own tweaking has corrupted the Registry Control Panel Component (CPL) entries.

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Ask a Question