SOLVED Download of Windows 10 ISO failed

Reaction score
I have tried repeatedly to download W10 through the update but it fails every time. Decided to download the Windows 10 ISO and mount and burn it so that I can use it on both computers (x64bit) but this too failed. I saved it to downloads, ran for about half an hour then failed. I have previously posted that the Media Creation Tool will not open after downloading it.

It doesn't seem logical that the ISO download failed...........any answers please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it failed.
The download failed?
Is there a problem with your internet connection? It is a sizeable file and even with a good connections it can take a while.

Reaction score
The download failed?
Is there a problem with your internet connection? It is a sizeable file and even with a good connections it can take a while.
I am on ADSL2 and downloading 3GB doesn't take too long. I was downloading W10 ISO on my HP Laptop and when I checked it said that it had failed. I don't want to update to W10 on my desktop until I have tried it out on my laptop as most of my work is done on the desktop.

If I downloaded the W10 ISO file to my desktop could I mount and burnt it to my bootable 8GB USB and then put it on my laptop, then if I like it use the same ISO file on my desktop to update to W10?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I downloaded the W10 ISO file to my desktop could I mount and burnt it to my bootable 8GB USB and then put it on my laptop, then if I like it use the same ISO file on my desktop to update to W10?
Sure just make sure you get the correct version (Home or Pro) and the correct architecture for your systems (32 or 64 bit)

Reaction score
Sure just make sure you get the correct version (Home or Pro)
That brings me to a question about the Techbench link above. I didn't get an option to download home or pro. I haven't taken the time to install from those ISO, and was assuming the ISO's from Techbench included both. Can you confirm the ISOs do or do not contain both editions?

Reaction score
That brings me to a question about the Techbench link above. I didn't get an option to download home or pro. I haven't taken the time to install from those ISO, and was assuming the ISO's from Techbench included both. Can you confirm the ISOs do or do not contain both editions?
The download is for Home and Pro, so which ever your previous OS was it will replace it with the same.

Reaction score
Sure just make sure you get the correct version (Home or Pro) and the correct architecture for your systems (32 or 64 bit)
Yes I noticed this when I tried to download before. I have W8.1 Home on desktop and W8.1 Pro on my laptop. It said that this will update both with one download.

Will download tomorrow as it is getting near my bedtime in Australia. Cheers...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you confirm the ISOs do or do not contain both editions?
Yes it does contain both editions.
I just used that download source to acquire the ISO to perform my long awaited clean install of Windows 10 and during the installation process I was offered the choice of which to install.
Can't speak to how the upgrade works as I haven't done it from that ISO source yet, but I would presume that it would either perform a Like for Like upgrade or ask you to pick one as it did for me during the clean install.
I also noticed that since the disk I used was wiped (Diskpart / Clean and partitioned and formatted in advance of the install) I was able to use my previous Windows key to activate, which was interesting.

Reaction score
Have at long last downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file. Have Mounted it as a virtual drive on my PC and I now want to burn it to a bootable USB. Do I copy the virtual drive and burn this or the original ISO file? Also, after burning how do I transfer W10 to another computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just use Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create a bootable USB ThumbDrive from the ISO.
I've created an image that you can use to set things up but it's especially for newer machine using UEFI and GPT partitions.
The settings are slightly different and easier if configuring it for older machines with Legacy BIOS and MBR partitions.

Rufus.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For burning an installation media USB drive for legacy BIOS and MBR partition, just change #2 to MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM and #3 to NTFS
That should do it

Reaction score
I have already created a bootable 8GB USB using Rufus a while back before I downloaded the W10 ISO. I am running W8.1 Pro and have gone into downloads, selected the ISO and click Manage (at top) then on L/H side chose Mount. This then gave me a virtual clone drive when I checked the My PC. I am confused as to which W10 to burn, the ISO or the virtual clone drive. My W8.1 gives me the burn option too, also a verify disc option.

I get a little confused when you refer to BIOS etc.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am confused as to which W10 to burn
The ISO, using Rufus.
Burning the virtual optical drive will not produce "bootable" installation media. You would be able to upgrade from it, but not boot from it.
I get a little confused when you refer to BIOS etc.
Don't worry too much about it.
If you've already created bootable installation media for your PC then you've got it covered.

Reaction score
Have created a bootable USB ThumbDrive from the ISO using Rufus as you mentioned. Not quite sure how to use this. I think I have to go into safe mode to reboot from usb. I plan to update the laptop first.
Is it possible for you to please give me a link or instructions.
I did notice that my laptop is Legacy Bios and my desktop UEFI, does this mean I will have to use two bootable usb's.

Reaction score
Just thought of something else. When I do get into Bios mode do I have to do a clean install and delete the drives, or can I just update to Windows 10?

Have just gone into Bios using F10 and put the USB at the top of the booting list.
Chose Windows Update not Clean install and it gave me a notice telling me to start the old Windows (8.1 Pro) and then update using the usb!! How do I do this please? Have made a system backup prior to doing all of this but would just like it to install over.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I may have lost sight of your goal.
If your goal is to upgrade a Windows 8.1 machine to Windows 10, then you can simply start your 'Windows 8.1 machine, put in the Windows 10 installation media (or double click the ISO) and run setup.exe from that source, in that environment. That will allow you to perform an in-place upgrade.

The media doesn't have to be bootable just to perform an upgrade.

Reaction score
I think I have been getting confused with all the links and reports re W10.
I agree that the best way for me to update is through an ISO file as the installation of a downloaded update will not work.
1. I have tried to update straight from the unmounted W10 ISO file and nothing happened.
2. I tried to update from a Virtual drone drive (H:) that I had mounted and put on the computer. Nothing happened.
3. I tried to update from a usb that I had copied (not burnt) the mounted ISO file. Nothing happened.
4. I have tried once again to download W10 update from updates and it will not install keeps giving me an error message.
5. The only difference I can think of is that I upgraded my W7 Home Edition to W8.1 Pro.
6. I right clicked My PC and checked the Product Key against the one I had entered for W8.1 Pro this seems to be different It states that it is activated and the Product ID is different from the one I entered for W8.1 Pro.
7. Is the Product ID the same as the Product Key? Note: I have checked the this out and realize that they are not the same, but the Product Key was the one for Windows 8.1 Pro so that seems O.K.

Sorry re all the confusion, but I have learned a lot through this post. At least I can do into Bios now.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Have tried the USB on my Desktop and read the contents, it shows setup.exe
I had a look at the contents on the Laptop and it only showed setup (no .exe). Maybe that has been the problem all the time!!

Ask a Question