media creation tool

Reaction score
upgrade this PC now.. its win10 1607 on SSD
Downloading win10.. (this is the 4th time thru this far) 100%, verifying dl, oh guess it 100% because it is now creating media,
100 %..
now checking for updates.. many hours as in forever..

If you do it to usb etc, setup crashes with driver not found!!

Reaction score
Do you have a question or are you making a statement?
There are no updates to the MCT download.
It's Version 1709 (Build 16299.15)
Tell MCT to create an iso file, Then you only have to down it one time.
You tell it to look for updates during the installation or do it after Windows is installed or upgraded.
The cumulative update is 16299.19

Reaction score
upgrade this PC now.. its win10 1607 on SSD
Downloading win10.. (this is the 4th time thru this far) 100%, verifying dl, oh guess it 100% because it is now creating media,
100 %..
now checking for updates.. many hours as in forever..

If you do it to usb etc, setup crashes with driver not found!!
Do you have a question or are you making a statement?
There are no updates to the MCT download.
It's Version 1709 (Build 16299.15)
Tell MCT to create an iso file, Then you only have to down it one time.
You tell it to look for updates during the installation or do it after Windows is installed or upgraded.
The cumulative update is 16299.19

OK, so the MCT queries MS and gets the "current" win10 version. OK, I will pull the iso and see if it is missing a media driver like the usb media.

currently the setup is still looking for updates, and I only see occasional ETH bips in taskman/performance/network

Reaction score
OK, so the MCT queries MS and gets the "current" win10 version. OK, I will pull the iso and see if it is missing a media driver like the usb media...
If you have the iso, you don't need the USB at all. Double-click the iso file which will "mount" it. Then double-click setup.exe in the mounted virtual drive.

Reaction score
It's my experience since Win10 came out that the .iso or USB download/offering using the MCT will always be a Build or more out of date, e.g. MCT has given me Version 1709 Build 16299.15 this several days but Build 16299.19 is current. Version 1703 Build 15063.0 was the offering while there were several builds after that.

Reaction score
MCT is bogus & will not create a Windows to Go because Microsoft broke API compatibility with the install.wim image from these ISOs

You can get the Tech Bench ISO direct from Microsoft. But...
The Tech Bench page has been renamed to Windows 10 ISO:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Depending on your browser/Windows version, you may have to trick the website into believing that you can't run the media creation tool on your system, to get the "You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool (...)" text (instead of a redirect to the media creation tool download) and therefore be able to select an ISO download.

This is easily done in Firefox with the add-on extension User Agent Switcher. Don't know why these iso's are different.

Reaction score
Well it is almost 24 hr. mounted and ran setup from the DVD... said no to the updates..
Now it is Drum roll, working on updates 85%.. I think it said 45% a 8am.. At no time has there been a link on the switch from the laptop.. so I have no clue where the "updates" it thinks its looking for are at. but I will leave it go for a few more days.

Reaction score
well, 11/6 1745 hours and it is still spinning it's wheel still working on updates..
guess its time for a "fresh" install

Ask a Question