How to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version

Reaction score
PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT AN UPGRADE IS NOT AN UPDATE PER SE; SEE THE LINK CREATED BY @Regedit32 BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS ON UPDATING AFTER CURRENT CUMULATIVE UPDATE.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-updates-after-kb4016871-reminder.13030/

See also: the following links about updating in general (a bit old but better than the info on the MS support site imo!):

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/manage-windows-update-windows-10/

https://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-update-on-windows-10/

To find what version you have: System Settings > System > About:

windows build info.JPG

Hi all,

as the title implies, this is about how to update/upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version using the tool(s) supplied by Microsoft.

Firstly, the system update tool in the settings manager will only update the installed system and not do a full system version upgrade!.

Secondly, there are two simple ways to upgrade your system fully, go to the link below and click on "Upgrade now" and run the upgrade assistant installer (it will create a desktop icon for future use). You should also do this each time there is a major update!.
Once started, simply follow the instructions and sit back while it does its thing. I recommend you close all other applications while doing the upgrade and making a back-up of all your documents and pictures and other files you may have.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Your system will need to restart and once the upgrade is complete, I recommend you check all your settings in the setting manager as it is quite possible that some changes have been made especially relating to user privacy!.

Once you run the tool, it will either want you to continue with an upgrade or you will see this window if your system is already up-to-date!:
windows update assistant.JPG

On the same web-page is another option entitled "Create Windows 10 installation media", with this option, you can create a bootable USB stick or download an ISO file to create a bootable DVD at your leisure. Again you should follow the on-screen instructions after clicking on "Download tool now", be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version, should you want a different language version, click on the little box that states "Use recommended settings" and make any changes you want regarding language and whether you want a 32 or 64 bit version. (If you choose both, you will need a dual layer disk if you plan to burn the ISO to a DVD or a large USB flash of more than 8GB in size!).

You can do a direct upgrade (Upgrade this PC now) with the tool or save the ISO file and create your desired bootable media at a later time.

There are 3 plus signs (+) showing beneath the tool download buttons:

1. Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10.
2. Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.
3. More download options.

take the time to read through them as they may contain info you need!.

See the videos and the picture screenshots below:

IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE GOING TO BURN A DVD; MAKE SURE YOU BURN IT AT THE SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED TO AVOID READ/WRITE ERRORS!.

See this link if you don't know how to do this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183/beginner-geek-how-to-burn-an-iso-image-to-a-disc/

Pic 1:

Insert your preformatted (FAT32) USB stick before you run the app (if you are using a USB stick) and select either Upgrade this PC now or Create installation media if you intend to use the USB stick for another time/different PC!.

pic 1.JPG

Pic 2:

pic 2.JPG

Pic 3:

Remove the tick in the box at the bottom (Use the recommended options for this PC) and click on the drop-down menu buttons if you want to make changes!.

pic 3.JPG

Pic 4:

pic 4.JPG

Pic 5:

Click on Next when done and the following warning will appear!.

pic 5.JPG

Pic 6:

Choose your media type (USB or ISO file).

pic 6.JPG

Pic 7:

Make sure that your USB drive is showing correctly!.

pic 7.JPG

Pic 8:

Click on Next and wait!.

pic 8.JPG

Pic 9:

pic 9.JPG

Pic 10:

pic 10.JPG

Pic 11:

When finished this message will appear, click on Finish!.

pic 11.JPG

Now set BIOS/UEFI to boot from USB stick/DVD disk:

BIOS settings:

https://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginner-geek-how-to-change-the-boot-order-in-your-computers-bios/

UEFI settings:

https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

I hope that this is of use to you. :)

This is a work in progress and changes will be made when and if new info becomes available!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Regedit32,

I pasted your link with a bit of info into the thread starter above thanks!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank You Wolfie.
I just bookmarked this page for future reference.
About 6 months ago a neighbor brought me a laptop with EUFI settings. Company he worked for hated "the odd ball" and were going to throw it out in the trash. He asked and was given it to take home
Took me 1.5 days to find the info you supplied above and reset to BIOS. Since laptop still had OEM key he was able to get a free laptop
Keep up the good work! No telling how many days of frustration you have just saved me, and others, from :~D

Reaction score
hey thanks heaps wolfie. have just started the download for windows ten. have also started windows in safe mode and did all scans,virus and malware.but they found nothing have put a password on the account hope this works am in the process of upgrading to latest windows ten will update asap. have now installed most recent windows ten. so far no new account has appeard,once again thanks heaps wolfie.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have two computers both HP with Windows 10 home. After update to win, 10 ver 1709 one computer no longer functions the other failed to update eight times with the error cannot write to partition. Error 0xc1900200.

Reaction score
Isn't this much easier version of how to install all the upgrades to Windows 10?
In Windows 10, you decide when and how to get the latest updates to keep your device running smoothly and securely. To manage your options and see available updates, select Check for Windows updates. Or select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

Reaction score
The main OS upgrades often don't show up in updates so the guide is a shortcut especially for people with an older version of Win 10!. :)

Ask a Question