Windows Updates after KB4016871 Reminder

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just a quick reminder, that after installing this Cumulative Update, or using an ISO to do an in-place upgrade, the Windows Update Service will have forgotten all those updates you may have chosen to hide.

To reset that download the attached file: wushowhide.zip
  • Before extracting,run a virus scan!
  • When sure its ok, right-click and select Extract all
  • Run the wushowhide.cab file
  • Check any items you wish to hide then click Next
  • Now right-click on Start and select Settings > Update & security and check for updates, or if its all ready managed to download and fail to install some updates, click try again.

Attachments

• wushowhide.zip
    42.9 KB · Views: 670
Reaction score
HI regedit32,

a good idea, I will paste your link into the thread wot I rote!. :)

Reaction score
Not sure who marked it solved certainly wasn't me, thanks for link above I'll try that and see what happens

Reaction score
Yes great tool, everyone with a notebook should use it to prevent Windows from screwing up your system with hardware drivers that are not compatible with your notebook.

Reaction score
Just a quick reminder, that after installing this Cumulative Update, or using an ISO to do an in-place upgrade, the Windows Update Service will have forgotten all those updates you may have chosen to hide.

To reset that download the attached file: wushowhide.zip
  • Before extracting,run a virus scan!
  • When sure its ok, right-click and select Extract all
  • Run the wushowhide.cab file
  • Check any items you wish to hide then click Next
  • Now right-click on Start and select Settings > Update & security and check for updates, or if its all ready managed to download and fail to install some updates, click try again.
OK tried it but no luck. There were no hidden updates. It was the last update that got me into trouble the last time but then when I tried to undo it it said that it was past 10 days and too late to undo the update. In Windows 7 on my old computer, I can still do a System Restore back to 2017. I'm rather new to Windows 10. You can imagine how frustrating this is after weeks. ut thanks very much for your help
Tom

Reaction score
Thanks, Grizzly. Not sure but I probably did not notice.
But late last night after weeks of going insane I finally got my icons back on my Word docs using these instructions:

1. Create a new empty word document on your desktop and name it WORD12.docx
  2. Go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\Windows\SHELLNEW" and paste the document there.
  3. Run regedit (win key + r, type regedit and press enter), go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\, ctrl + f -> find .docx. key.
  4. Left click the .docx key, there should be three string values on the right: (Default); Content Type; Perceived Type. Double click the (Default) string value and change the Data to "Word.Document.12"
  5. Right click the .docx key -> create new key, name it "Word.Document.12"
  6. Right click the new key Word.Document.12, click new -> key -> name it ShellNew
  7. Right click the ShellNew key -> new -> string value. Change the Name of the new string value to "FileName" and the Data to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\VFS\Windows\ShellNew\word12.docx"
  8. Go to your desktop, press F5 and the "New Microsoft Word Document" option should be there.

Ask a Question