Metered Updates Windows 10

Reaction score
Following a crash on trying to install the 1709 update, I lost my HDMI connection and could only put things right by bringing back an old monitor to get a screen and then uninstalling the update. The desktop computer is now on metered and bypasses this update though I see it tries occasionally. I have a new Dell Ultrasharp monitor which I have now put back in use.

On contacting Dell with this problem, I was informed that their desktop computer Model Vostro 430 purchased in January 2011 cannot cope with the new monitor and my only solution if I wanted to automatically download Windows updates, was to buy a new desktop model! My present one is an i-7 and works perfectly, so I feel rather cheated. Anyone else know of a way round this? I see others experienced problems with the HDMI connection following this update.

Reaction score
I would first look for an updated video driver. The old monitor connects how? HDMI? DVI?
As far as I can see from the Vostro pages and the Ultrasharp pages you have to connect with a DVI cable? Yes?

It is not impossible that Dell have made the monitor incompatible with an older video card but I would think that unlikely.

Reaction score
I had to go to a techie to get all things working and he updated all the drivers and especially the video drivers and found the correct adapters to get the new screen connected. He put the system on metered and said it would avoid large updates, which it has, but I wanted things to work normally on Windows Updates as previously. When I queried with Dell, then they said that the old computer would not support the new technology of the Ultrasharp latest models.

Reaction score
"correct adapter" Did he provide a physical adapter to plug the new display into the PC?

You can turn off metered in Network settings. There is a new release coming up in the next few weeks.

Reaction score
I believe this is how he got the connection to work. Previously the screen just said it could not detect HDMI. All now works well, apart from the update issue. I am afraid to take it off metered, as it will immediately try to install the 1709 update which caused the wipeout last time. Then there is no way I can get back other than to disconnect the new monitor, connect up the old one with the VGA connection and take off the failed update, then the new monitor works again.

Reaction score
This may be a situation related to the version of HDMI being used. One thing I always see is if you want Windows Mixed Reality to work, you need the 1709 upgrade. This would indicate to me that some standard was implemented or software changes to allow the feature to work.

I am not saying your situation is directly involved with WMR.

Reaction score
I am satisfied with the way my computer is now working with the new monitor and obviously don't miss any benefits of the update. What concerns me is can I leave it on metered indefinitely without missing out on a vital update to the working of the computer. Otherwise I am content to let well be... On checking update history, I see 1709 has at least 20 attempts and Cumulative for 1703 two failed attempts, although the original 1703 did install.

Reaction score
Funnily enough I have just put my wife's PC onto meterered. Why? Because I want my machine to get updated with 1803 so that I can check it out before her pc does.

If you leave it on metered you will only get bug fixes and driver updates...according to MS.

Reaction score
So updates needed for the working and security of the computer will get installed regardless of the metered connection? So I can just leave it be?

Ask a Question