SOLVED Metered Connection.. that's metric right?

Bif

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me this Metered Connection thingamabob that the MS God's are imposing on it's user's?
I guess my question (s) is/are as follows..
1. Do I need to be concerned? as I'm capped with my ISP at 250gb a month and I never even get close to that cap.
2. Does it even apply to me?
3. Should I be setting this to anything in particular?
4. When is Happy hour?

Cheers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm capped with my ISP at 250gb a month and I never even get close to that cap
Does it even apply to me?
Based on that, I'm going to go with...... No.
As long as you've never seen any throttling or been charged for any overages then I would think you're safe and have no need to set anything as metered.
When is Happy hour?
Whenever the glass still has contents.
An empty glass would be "Sad Hour"

Bif

Reaction score
Thank you @Trouble for the clarity..I surmised as much but as we both know all too well, you NEVER assume anything with MS!..it had me tad concerned, but no more.

The Guinness is patiently waiting!..;)

Reaction score
Biff MS version of metered connection.
Metered connections in Windows 10

• [A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren't by default. Some apps might work differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage. Also, some updates for Windows won't be installed automatically.
  • To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:
    Select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi Expanding curves Wi-Fi icon > Manage known networks.

Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection]

• Bif With a 250 GB cap I certainly wouldn't be concerned. I currently have 50 GB, had to up it 25 GB when I switched to Windows 10.
It doesn't apply to you.

Using the above settings you could check to make sure your metered setting is OFF, you wouldn't want to miss out on MS treats.

Any hour is time for happy hour. Let's Go Cheers!

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks Norton!.. will check those settings when I get home, and I will also check my data usage on my ISP account just out of curiosity.
A cold ones waiting!

Reaction score
As already said, a metered connection limits what windows can do in a way.

Thank goodness for unlimited data volume (my provider does not put a data cap on my connection)

Reaction score
I wonder how the folks on a metered Windows phones will make out with Windows updates; that seem to update, fail, OS crash? I believe they will find MS hands in their wallet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Very seldom, if ever, perform an Operating System Update on my Windows phone OTA (Over The Air) using my cell data.
Generally I will always do that using the 5G wireless connection to my router.

Bif

Reaction score
Biff Would that cold one happen to be a draught Guiness?
Is there any other way to drink Guiness?:)
Hotter than the hubs of hell here with the humidity...a frothy one shall hit the spot!
Here's to flawless OS's and good health!

Reaction score
Trouble thanks! That's good to know, my son has a Windows phone, I was also aware that you owned one.
I would imagine that many kids, college/University students don't have the luxury of an available wireless connection. And, if I'm not mistaken, the article I read on here said that MS would force the downloads to those on a metered connections.

Ask a Question