SOLVED Updating Win 10 on metered connection

Reaction score
Hello all

My Dell XPS 8900 came with Win 10 Home installed back when ordered/bought December 2015. Its Win 10 Home version is the one prior to the November 1511 105086. I live in very rural SW Az and for years used WildBlue Satellite for my internet connection (all that was available). It is the 10 gig "Wildblue Value" package ("grandfathered"....7 gig download/3 gig upload).
Now, this has been more than enough for most of what I use a computer for (small business/personal)

Although Verizon "Cell" towers are available, I can't afford the price and after having Verizon as my phone company for years.........with all kinds of problems, I will not do business with them. Nor can I afford the WildBlue/Excite higher packages that are available now. (which includes paying a "rental fee" for a new modem/satellite dish.....which my "grandfathered" package includes for free)

I read all I could about Win 10 when it first came out and before/after my new computer arrived. (My previous computer was an Inspiron 530 Win XP that lasted nearly 9 years before it died.) So I knew to disable my Download from "Automatic" to "Notify to reschedule Restart" and set my "internet" to "Metered", so I can get some of the Security updates.

However I have not been able to download the November 2015 Win 10 1511 105086 version nor any of the later ones because they are well over 2 - 3 gigs each. This is my Only computer. So stuck, for now, with the version my XPS came with.

Now, my daughter's computer came with Win 10 about the same time but her service is HughesNet with a much larger gig package that can absorb huge download sizes without any problems.

So would it be possible to get the newer Win 10 Home versions separately through Microsoft store in a file version using a flash drive? To install into my own?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So would it be possible to get the newer Win 10 Home versions separately through Microsoft store in a file version using a flash drive? To install into my own?
Sure.
You can use her connection to download the latest ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Select Windows 10 from the top of the list in the first drop down
Then your language
Then the version for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).
Save it to a flash drive and then double click it on your current Windows 10 install to mount it and run setup.exe from there.

Ask a Question