Problems with windows 10 after updating

Reaction score
Translated from Polish into English into Google translator.

Hello, after the upgrade of windows 10, version 1803 which took place on April 30, the computer keeps crashing even when the processor is low on the load, it may hang.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some specifics as to what computer you have would be helpful.
Manufacturer Name, Model Name and Number and details as to processor, GPU, memory, etc.

At what point does it crash?
Startup, after running for a while, when performing a specific task?

Reduce the system to basic components.
No peripherals attached, only Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.
No wireless devices of any type
No USB peripherals except USB wired mouse and USB wired keyboard, not even a USB printer.

Reaction score
I also had problems with version 1803. Desktop Icons turned blank, but still had their captions. TV & movies lost not all, just some of their thumbnails. I tried switching to the 1803 Windows Media Player, recommended by the version 1803, no change, but they would play. I returned to Windows Media Player. I have Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i3- 2100 processor, @3.10 GHz. I also have Windows Assure Protection, however the first tech didn't repair the issue. After repeated restarts I got another tech to remotely remove version 1803, and return my PC to version 1709 which works good since installed. I was told that version 1803 would not try to install itself again, and not to check further for updates?

I asked how could I display updates before they are installed, but that Tech had left the chat. I also have a laptop as a backup PC, with version 1803 installed. I don't know how to remove it, or if it is suffering some other problems.

DP

Reaction score
Translated from Polish into English into Google translator.

Hello, after the upgrade of windows 10, version 1803 which took place on April 30, the computer keeps crashing even when the processor is low on the load, it may hang.

Go to the Settings App, Update & Security, then Troubleshoot. Try running the Blue Screen fix.

Reaction score
You folks are lucky. After the update, I couldn't sign in because my computer didn't like my password and my email account was corrupted. I went to the Microkill website and had a chat session. Not much that was suggested worked until MIRACULOUSLY I could sign in and do a system restore. This is a refurbed machine that (I think) has the first version of Windows. I'm wondering if I should download a current version via installation media.

Anyone?

BTW Thanks to all who have offered advice with handling my computer problems.

Reaction score
Hey PowerBattery, I'm no expert, or geek, I would update to version 1709, and go no further. If you like the way it's running now. I think version 1709, is faster and nothing noticeable will change. Except, Skype is now tried to MS. Both my desk top & back up Laptop are unlocked because both my PC are only used by me. Only time I need a password is signing in my MS account & Skype, which use the same password.

I will contact MS support today and have them remove version 1803 from my laptop, just so both are in sync.

DP.

Reaction score
I also had problems with version 1803. Desktop Icons turned blank, but still had their captions. TV & movies lost not all, just some of their thumbnails. I tried switching to the 1803 Windows Media Player, recommended by the version 1803, no change, but they would play. I returned to Windows Media Player. I have Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i3- 2100 processor, @3.10 GHz. I also have Windows Assure Protection, however the first tech didn't repair the issue. After repeated restarts I got another tech to remotely remove version 1803, and return my PC to version 1709 which works good since installed. I was told that version 1803 would not try to install itself again, and not to check further for updates?

I asked how could I display updates before they are installed, but that Tech had left the chat. I also have a laptop as a backup PC, with version 1803 installed. I don't know how to remove it, or if it is suffering some other problems.

DP
I don't know why (???) all of you are having so much problems with Win10 Pro and/or Home??? I've updated my Win10-Pro-64bit version/OS build 1803-17134.1 and I have had no problems at all, as a matter of a fact, my laptop is running much quicker and more efficiently, both on the web and/or in multitasking. My laptop is an 8 year old Acer-Aspire 5750 which has been upgraded to an i7/2720QM with HD 3000 graphics, 8GB RAM and a 1TB Samsung SSD and I've had no problems, everything works wonderfully well and as it should.

In your case "Dillpickles" it might be that your laptop is running out of juice and memory, the i3- 2100 with the HD 2000 graphics, could be one of the culprits, have you updated your graphics driver? What is your HDD? (have you got an SSD?) As you have to have an SSD with an older type laptop(s) is your RAM adequate? Have you got at least 8GB of RAM? All these variables affect Windows 10/64bit, especially when you update it to newer version/OS builds as they require more power and memory. Maybe change your CPU to a Core i5-2400S with the HD 3000 graphics (which is 97% compatible with your i3/2100) that has a frequency of 2.5 GHz to a turbo of 3.3 GHz and has 4 cores and 4 threads, same TPD of 65W as your i3/2100. These are all things that you can do to improve and make your laptop more compatible so that it can keep up with Win10-64bit power requirements and/or compatibility. Since I’ve updated to the above (on my laptop) I’ve never ever had any problems like you are experiencing. For CPU upgrades see this http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i3/i3-2100.html which is what is compatible with your i3/2100 and is an excellent guide to CPU upgrades.

The only problem that I’ve had with Win10-Pro-64bit 1709 (not on the laptop that I have above) but on another laptop that is running Win10-Home-64bit was with ‘windows can’t set up a ‘HomeGroup’ on this computer’. In the new version of Win 10 version/OS build 1803-17134.1 ‘HomeGroup’ removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803) see; https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed however, even though it has been removed, you can still share printers and files by using features that are built into Windows 10. ‘No Wonder’ that Microsoft has removed it as it was a very problematic thing and has always lacked their support and/or any solution(s). Lets see how it was solved or hasn’t been solved lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been away for a month and came home decided to hit check for updates on desk top and it downloaded 1803-17134.1 having no problems in fact it seem better Edge opens faster and runs a lot smoother all other functions seem the same

Reaction score
Hi StevenG, The issue was with my Desktop C; & D; Drives 1TB, partitioned at 500G. A second 1T Drive were my media is stored. I had Assure Protection remove all traces of version 1803, it's was first time I had issues with an update build. But one I could live without. I now have automatic updates set to manual on both my Desktop & Laptop.

I had Assure Protection remove version 1803, though it is a backup PC, and only use for travel, no media is stored there, just documents & photos. I didn't notice any problems with version 1803 on it. An Acer E1-470, i3, with 1T HD, 4 yrs. old with very little use. But I did not want any problems when out of town and need to do something, then find I have problems with it.

I now have a desktop icon on both, "Show Hide Windows Updates" If I check my desktop PC, I don't even see version 1803. The Aussure Protection Tech remove all traces there, however when I check my laptop I still see it as an available update. But won't installed it.

As for me all the new features of version 1803 were something I don't use or need. I am happy with version 1709, and will only check for new updates to that version occasionally, instead of daily as I did in the past. I am old school, don't use Edge, still with Chrome. So in the end I'll stay with 1709 until I am forced to unpate to a newer version.

I figured there would be bugs 1809 that would take time to be fixed. Then I had no control, they were installed automatically. Atleast now I know, how to control updates, and will research them before I install them. So in the end, I learned something, and happy I don't have to work around any problems.

Thanks for your participation, I will read other threads just find other problems people are dealing with 1803, As for me the problem is solved for now.

DP.

Reaction score
"Dillpickles" yes I realise all that but, i would still recommend you upgrade your 'desktop' to the specs I've suggested above because, that is the reason you probably are having and are beginning to have trouble with Win10 updates to version 1803 and any further updates. The specs of your 'desktop' are outdated and are getting old, as a twin drive desktop computer e.g. 1TB partitioned to 500GB and a second 1T Drive were your media is stored. I would upgrade the CPU, RAM and even a better Graphics card at PCIe x16. The CPU I would recommend is either a Core i5 2500 or better still a Core i7 2600 (which are all compatible with your motherboard) from the 'CPU-Upgrade' site that I provided you with and I would also upgrade the RAM to at least a DDR3-1600MHz at 8GB minimum. If you do these upgrades, firstly, it would be at a very minimal cost to your pocket and secondly, you would not believe what an upgrade like this will do to your computers speed and compatibility with new software. It would be so much easier to use and perform whatever WIN10 tasks and upgrades you would required. Note; on a desktop computer its very easy to change components as they are easily accessible e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics card and even an upgrade to an SSD drive, which I strongly recommend! Hope this helps as that is what I would do but, its all up to you? Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi StevenG you're recommendations all sound good. But less than two years ago I replaced the motherboard and both HD's. Then spent days updating Windows again, and putting all software and media back. I could have had an i5, or i7 installed at that time, but felt the i3 was adequate for my needs. I'm not a gamer, or any sort of geek, don't do anything more than edit and save documents & photos, and of course I have maintain in contact with Govt. agencies since I live outside the U.S.. I can still upgrade to any further updates for the 1709 build, so I was told by "Assure Protection" and still have the capability of installing the 1803 build again. Which I may try at a later date, but at this time I am coming up on some work where I need my PC's functioning atleast as they are for the next few months.

Thanks for the info, I have a very good shop here in Thailand, and will installed the latest there is, when time comes again.

DP.

Reaction score
do u have installed Avast AV on ur PC nor Advance System Care Pro ver.11 ?
u must turn off services :

1. Right click on start.
2. Click run.
3. Type msconfig
4. Click the "Services" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Advanced System Care 11" service or Avast AV.
6. Click ok.
7. Click "restart your computer".
8. Update KB4103721 as normal. re-enable the service if you want.
9. Done.

Ask a Question