SOLVED Windows 10 Startup problems

Reaction score
Hi,

Have been running windows 10 on my PC since it was released. This week my PC starting booting up to the windows screen and then the screen goes black. I can restart my PC in safe mode with out any issues.

I have tried to repair the startup through windows and it fails. I have tried to used bootrec but the it doesn't exist on my PC. I can't create a recovery disk because my PC only boots into safe mode and a it can't be created in this mode.

All suggestions appreciated.

Reaction score
Not mentioned in your post. Maybe too elementary. Have you kept the many updates going since your first install?
What version do you have now, it should be
Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.194)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Clean boot makes no difference. I have tried the installation disk and then used bootrec but the fixboot fails with access denied. I have tried the fix for this, using Diskpart, and it does not fix the problem. I have just tried re-install and it tells me I can't do this from the disk, that I must login into windows first.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF your computer boots into Safe Mode but fails after disabling all startup items and all non-Microsoft Services (Clean Boot), then....
The issue might be linked to attached devices.
Please disconnect any and all peripherals including all wireless dongles (keyboard, mouse, network, etc.)
Disconnected any USB peripherals like printers or external storage devices.
Attempt to boot the machine with only a wired USB mouse, wired USB keyboard and monitor.

IF you have any third party security software installed you might attempt to uninstall that product(s) from Safe Mode.

Reaction score
I only have a wired mouse, keyboard and monitor. All my other devices are connected to other PC's.

Removed AVG and made no difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark. Maybe try turning off fast startup? Control Panel>Power Options>Choose What Power Button Does (on left hand side)>Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable (on top)>Uncheck Turn On Fast Startup>Save Changes.

Reaction score
If it was the 1809 update, you may have the option to roll back to 1803. Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, click "Update and Security", "View Update History", then "Uninstall Updates".

Ben

Reaction score
Turn on Fast Startup is not an option only hibernate and lock. I am running Windows 10 Home.
That's odd. I have 5 machines running Windows 10 (2 are home version) and they all have that option. And it's been known to cause black screen issues.

Reaction score
I finally gave up and bought a new drive. remove all of the others. I only have a keyboard, mouse, monitor and the network. Started in up, installed windows 10 fresh install. It installed okay and then said it had updates. The updates ran and my PC has return to going to the Windows icon and then the screen going black

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Started in up, installed windows 10 fresh install
What was the version of Windows 10 on the installation media you used to perform the "fresh install"?
What updates did Windows 10 subsequently install?

Tell us about your computer.
Manufacturer, Model Name, Complete Model Number?
Does your machine have an internal wireless network adapter? IF so, what is the Manufacturer and model?

Reaction score
My PC is a simple custom job, with the following specs:
- Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
- Memory - 8gb
- Processor - i7-4790
- Ethernet connection
- Hard disk 500gb Samsung SSD EVO

My installation disc just says Windows 10 Home - 64-bit. The update were done as part of installation process, so I got a screen says updates required and they were updated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My installation disc just says Windows 10 Home - 64-bit.
I was kinda hoping that you might have gone here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
AND
Used the media creation tool to create new bootable media to perform your "fresh install" there-by avoiding any issues from any older versions or interim cumulative updates except maybe the latest one.
As you can see, if you click the System Specs link in my avatar, we have virtually identical systems except I'm running 16 gigs of Ram and a smaller 256 Samsung EVO SSD.
AND
Having no issues with Windows 10 and the latest version.

Maybe double check with Gigabyte and see if you're running the latest firmware (BIOS) for that particular board (confirm revision number).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, followed your advice and it worked a treat. After so many problems I appreciate your advice immensely. Have a great Christmas.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem.
Thanks for the follow-up info
AND
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Reaction score
“Use the media creation tool to create new bootable media to perform your fresh install”

If my bootable media has both the 32bit and 64bit versions on it can I use the fresh install to change a 32bit machine to a 64bit machine (assuming the CPU etc is 64bit ready)?

Ask a Question