Windows Hangs Every Other Startup

Reaction score
Well i recently bit the bullet and decided to switch over to windows 10 for my gaming rig :/ I started with a clean install of windows 10 pro 64bit on my Lenovo Thinkserver Td340 and everything went perfectly fine. The clean install was on a hdd and all my drivers (other than video and a chipset driver) were there. i proceeded with updates and antivirus and so on but i noticed that consistently every other time my machine boots it hangs at the spinning dots screen. when it hangs i hard power off then power on and it boots perfectly fine. so i did some digging before i came here and i came up with fast startup being a possible culprit but seeing as this motherboard wont support hibernation it was kind of tricky to disable it. I turned off Quiet Boot in bios and i used regedit to disabled hibernation in the registry, took rights of the hibernation file on C and deleted it, and i also moved my hdd to a laptop so i could access the fastboot setting and turn it off and still it hangs every other time i boot up. I thought maybe it was my clean install so i took an ssd with a recent install of windows 7 on it and put it in my machine and upgraded to windows 8 successfully, repeated my steps from before with drivers and fastboot and it still hangs every other boot x.x its disappointing because i really like windows 10 so far and i really dont want to go back to windows 7. any help is appreciated and my system specs are below

Lenovo Thinkserver TD340
1x Intel Xeon E5-2420 v2 2.2GHz
2x 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC
1x XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition
1x 500GB Samsung 850evo SSD
2x 2TB Lenovo HDDs in Hot Swap Bays
2x Lenovo 4 bay SAS Backplanes (disconnected from mobo with onboard raid controller off in bios)
1000watt Be Quiet! Pro PSU

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open an elevated command prompt and in the command prompt window paste the following
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F
You may need to reboot.
See if that provides any remedy

Reaction score
thank you for the quick response, i did exactly as you said and rebooted but its still freezing at the spinning dots screen. powered off and back on and it booted normally like usual.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... sorry that didn't help.
Might as well reset it then
Admin command prompt and type
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F
hit enter
That is just a reg hack to disable and enable fast startup
Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Reaction score
I really appreciate your help, i honestly wasnt expecting such a quick response. idk whats wrong with this thing, i was hopeful when i read other people having the same problem with fast startup but at this point i just dont know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does it only happen after a cold boot or does it happen also after a warm boot (restart)?

Reaction score
it also happens after a restart. whether i cold boot or reboot it always boots every other time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, then by way of just FYI it doesn't have anything to do with Fast Startup as that particular setting has no impact on "restart" / warm boot.

You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.

Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services
, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
I disabled all non microsoft services and all startup items and did a reboot and it froze as usual. shut down and powered on and it booted like normal. i double checked the startup items and noticed avast was still on so i uninstalled avast and rebooted again and it froze. ive reinstalled avast and re enabled my startup items and services. thanks for the continued help :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i took an ssd with a recent install of windows 7 on it and put it in my machine and upgraded to windows 8 successfully, repeated my steps from before with drivers and fastboot and it still hangs every other boot
IF it behaves the same with both 8 and 10 then it's not likely Windows 10 alone.
Time to re-inspect the BIOS and see if there is anything you might be over looking.
By any chance is there a firmware (BIOS) update for that specific motherboard?

Reaction score
wow im sorry that was a typo, i meant to type 10 instead of 8. i have never actually tested 8 on this machine but i do know windows 7 consistently boots fine. when i first noticed the problem i updated the bios to the latest version from the lenovo support page.

Ask a Question