Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 hangs at 33% during reboot

Reaction score
Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 hangs at 33% during reboot

I have a Dell XPS L501X laptop that has been working very well with windows 10, until the latest upgrade. My desktop generally has the issues with Microsoft upgrades but this time it did the upgrade just fine and my laptop is having the issues.

I’ve tried all of the advice that I could find to get it to work but nothing works. After the update is installed and the computer is restarted it does one reboot and then when it tries to do the second it gets to 33% and the spinning balls stop spinning and it hangs there forever (I let it go for 12 hours before resetting it). After resetting it restores the previous system and starts up but after a while it forces the update again and the same thing happens.

Any thought/advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Clintlgm,

Would the update for my Intel i5 64bit be:
2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4043961)

Does that contain everything for the "Features update to Windows, version 1709?

Thanks!

Reaction score
At this point I fear I must surrender to Dell and Microsoft and give up (something I hate to do). I have spent many, many, many hours and attempted every suggestion I could find on the web to make the Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 upgrade work, I have contracted with Microsoft and with Dell to have them make it work and they both tell me the same thing, that my computer will NEVER be able to run the update because it was not designed to.

My 7 year old Dell XPS L501X laptop with an i5 Intel processor and 6 gig of memory has been made useless by the corporations that manage this computer’s ability to stay current and secure with the provided Windows 10 operating system. When I purchased this beast of a laptop I fully expected to have more than 10 years of useful computing from it but apparently the companies have different ideas. It may be a conspiracy, or just inept engineering and programming, I will never know.

I have been told by Dell that I should have never upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as the computer was not supported by Dell on Windows 10 and the fact that Microsoft encouraged us to move to Windows 10 was not their problem.

I am curious if anyone else has a Dell XPS L501X and what their experiences have been. Please let me know if you have one and how it is going.

I wonder if Apple is any better?

Reaction score
Well I build my own desktops, its not cheaper but I enjoy doing it and kind of get exactly what I want. I like high end technology but I usually save lots of money by buying one generation back from the latest and greatest.
I still pretty much upgrade ever 3 to 5 years. Last 2 times I upgraded it was a Mother Board and CPU all my other parts are still current enough that makes my RAM, Case, Power Supply Hard drives 5 to 10 years old.
Hard drives are another thing, I find that quality Spinners only last 3 to 5 years and I change them out at the first signs of issue SMART will let you know months before they crash usually.
For the last 3 years I have been upgrading my OS drives to SSD. Samsung 850 Pro are warranty for 10 years EVO are 5 years the newer ones 960 and other current production SSD are good for 3 to 5 years depending on the quality you buy.
So from your last post, My best guess is that a Motherboard and CPU should get you back in business. Not sure how Dell puts them together so you may need a case also.
Someone else that knows about Dell's might advise you I think Dell it the or one of the that make it difficult to upgrade there case.
There advise was good, if Dell did not support your model for windows 10 you should have stayed on 7 or maybe 8.1. 10 is very selective about hardware and old software too sometimes you can find work around drivers to get you by. Which it sounds like you did until now.

I personally think Asus makes the best Mother Boards and Intel for me. I have never tried a AMD CPU and probably never will. Just like I'll never buy anything Apple. I also like NVidia GPU. I have a very hot one in my notebook it came that way. But my desktop have $100 GPU and My Wife's HP All In One is running graphics off the CPU.
I prefer I Core 7 CPU's I multitask a lot with many programs running at the same time. My Business computer has an I Core 5 this computer runs 2 programs all the time not much load or need for multi threads. The difference between the I5 and I7 is I5 has 4 cores 4 thread and I7 4 cores 8 Threads. If you do intensive programs like video editing auto cad play games you'll probably find the I7 worth the few extra bucks.

As mentioned every where you look, the biggest upgrade you can make is to put in a SSD if you don't already have one for your OS. these are the most significant upgrade since the Pentium CPU. its the only upgrade you can put in that your will notice it will make you say Whoa.

If you wish to continue on with your Dell find the Dell support forum there you will meet people with the same hardware you have and work arounds are found and shared. You issue is not Windows 10 issue as much as it is a hardware issue

Ask a Question