Update from windows 10 to windows 10 Fall Creator Update (1709), Wifi 802.11 is not compatible

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am using laptop Dell Inspiron 3542. I'd been using Windows 10 and experience no problem at all... until I've upgraded Windows 10 Fall Creator Update (1709), I've started experiencing INCOMPATIBLE in my WiFi "Dell Wireless 802.11". Now I cannot use my wifi, neither bluetooth, nor Airplane Mode, nor Mobile hotspot.

Many attempt to uninstall and re-install the driver and even roll-back older version of driver was hopeless. I did even restore to previous Windows 10 version was no avail. I did even look for info on the internet how to overcome but no help at all.

Now I have to use network cable to hook up to internet, and waiting for either Dell Support to release a new patch of driver for this WiFi card, or the Microsoft itself release a very new patch to fix this problem.

Meantime, if any guru guys can help is very appreciate and grateful indeed

Reaction score
The Dell site shows an update for the 1704 1708 for the Inspiron device dated this January for W10 64 bit. Nothing newer. Although not terribly convenient there are MANY cheap and reliable USB Wifi devices out there. I have Dlink, Netgear and a TPlink that all work although I don't use them on a regular basis. But none of them do Bluetooth and I don't think any of the ones I have do Mobile hotspot. They were bought on price not for facilities!

Reaction score
The Dell site shows an update for the 1704 1708 for the Inspiron device dated this January for W10 64 bit. Nothing newer. Although not terribly convenient there are MANY cheap and reliable USB Wifi devices out there. I have Dlink, Netgear and a TPlink that all work although I don't use them on a regular basis. But none of them do Bluetooth and I don't think any of the ones I have do Mobile hotspot. They were bought on price not for facilities!

Thanks for the info. I' already downloaded this 1704 1708 from Dell, but could not help at all .

Reaction score
The driver mentioned is not the latest. You need the Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz.
Find it at:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/dk/da/dkdhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=5J8D8

I did tried that driver 1704/1708 but very hopeless.

Let me explain to you by details of what happens.

I have windows 10 on my laptop Dell Inspiron 3542 and everything works fine and charmingly. Untill within this week do the "check update" in Microsoft Windows, then it downloaded MIcrosoft Update 1709, which is also known as Windows 10 Fall Creator Update.

After update, everything works fine except Dell wireless 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. If I go to Device Manager, it shows no "X", nor it shows any complain about this driver. So, assumingly the new Windows 10 Fall Creator Update does see this Dell Wireless hardware. But when I scanned "Trouble-Shooting" for internet then it reported back that I can only connect to Network Card (or Network Cable) and cannot fix the WiFi.

When I go to "Network & Internet Settings" on the Wifi. Once I clicked on WiFi button, It stayed "ON" 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to "OFF" like a "Circuit Breaker" or the "Short Circuit Switch".

If I go to "Network" icon on the right-bottom of the screen for Internet, then there are 2 things happen:

(1) Without network cable connected for Internet, then my Wifi button, Airplane Mode button, and Mobile hotspot button display "dim" (means inactive or disable I guess)

(2) With network cable connected for Internet, then Airplane Mode button is dim, WiFi button stay dim, whereas the "Mobile hotspot" button stay "bright" (means active or enable). When I click on this" Mobile hotspot" button then it displayed names of WiFi connections in around area for 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. But after that the WiFi button alternately stay "bright"whereas the Mobile hotspot alternately stayed OFF. If I hit the WiFi button, then I can see a few names of Wifi Connections around the area for 1 or 2 seconds then disappeared and it bounced to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. Conclusively the WiFi button and the Mobile Hotspot button just stays ON/OFF alternately whichever you press.

I even tried update to latest BIOS A12 for my laptop, then I tried Airplane Mode driver provided by Dell but so useless. I tried update to uninstall and reinstall to very latest driver for wireless wifi of Dell released 1705, 1704/1708... but no avail. I even tried REALTEK 802.11 and Broadcom 802.11 with hope but come to no where.

This is the problem of Windows 10 Update bugs rather than Dell Driver bugs, But I don't know how long MIcrosoft will release this new patch. If it was Dell Driver bugs, then It must shows "X" in Device Manager, right?

Reaction score
"This is the problem of Windows 10 Update bugs rather than Dell Driver bugs, But I don't know how long MIcrosoft will release this new patch. If it was Dell Driver bugs, then It must shows "X" in Device Manager, right? "
No. One of my family has the same machine, and both wireless and Ethernet work perfectly.
Maybe someone here has another suggestion. I will be seeing my family member tomorrow and I will see if there is anything significant on his machine that will give a clue.

Reaction score
The Dell wifi cards are Intel & there's a problem with many, but not all of them.
I have an Intel card in an HP. If you start up the laptop, the wifi will be connected to the router but not the internet. The troubleshooter will fix it, but the same thing happens the following day. If the ethernet cable is attached during the startup & then detached, the wifi works as it should.

This is the same problem with Lenovo & Intel.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Window...ken-by-Windows-10-Fall-Creator-s/td-p/3855362

You can try these "fixes". I tried them all short of rolling back, nothing worked permanently.
https://pureinfotech.com/fix-wifi-problems-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

Intel does have a new set of drivers which are probably not incorporated yet. Will have to test it.
FILE VERSION 15,5,0,0
WiFi_20.0.2_PROSet64_Win10.exe

Last edited:
Reaction score
" If you start up the laptop, the wifi will be connected to the router but not the internet. "
I would suggest that would be a problem between the router and the connection to the ISP - Nothing to do with Windows or Dell drivers.

Reaction score
" If you start up the laptop, the wifi will be connected to the router but not the internet. "
I would suggest that would be a problem between the router and the connection to the ISP - Nothing to do with Windows or Dell drivers.
Incorrect. The router is just a router. The modem is a separate box.
I should clarify, it's not actually connected to the router but does see the router.
Look at my revised post about the Lenovo. That's exactly the issue.

I get the wifi icon with the white star which means a wireless adapter is detected and there are wireless networks in range, but you’re not connected to one.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000459/windows-10-wifi-icons

If you troubleshoot problems then it will connect. Have to do this on the first cold boot of every day.
Never had this problem with 1703.

Last edited:
Reaction score
" should clarify, it's not actually connected to the router but does see the router."

That I understand

Reaction score
Many ISP's are downloading a patch for the WPA2 hack. Which requires a modem reboot.
I would be looking at the modem/router itself. There is no mention or suggestion of powering down the modem for a minute or so, then re-powering it up and allowing it to go through its reboot process. Anything is worth a try at this point nothing to loose.

Reaction score
You have the option to replace the Wireless card. You can check the support site and the owner's manual to see how to do so and check the form factor of the device. Make note the antenna connections are on each side of the card and not both on one side. (L or R)

I have a new Intel card in my Inspiron 1545 and it works fine in Win 10. Make sure and get a 2x2 Wireless AC card. My current one is a Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 but it would probably even work with an 8265, just double check the form factor.

So, if you can't seem to get it working, give it some thought. The card is easy to replace and not that expensive.

Reaction score
The cable modem has no wifi.
The SNMP Event Log shows nothing significant.
I have 4 wifi computers & 3 wired.
1st cold startup of every day results in performing troubleshooter.Then it works.
Never did this with Creator's Update; Just started with Fall Creator's Update.
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. Only dual band one allowed due to HP's White List.
2017-11-02_160613.jpg

I have a couple Dell 1525's with replacement cards, AC 7260. They work 95% of the time.
I've been buying 7260's but many are defective, dual-band on label is only single band (5GHz).
No problem getting refunds.

Reaction score
I did tried that driver 1704/1708 but very hopeless.

Let me explain to you by details of what happens.

I have windows 10 on my laptop Dell Inspiron 3542 and everything works fine and charmingly. Untill within this week do the "check update" in Microsoft Windows, then it downloaded MIcrosoft Update 1709, which is also known as Windows 10 Fall Creator Update.

After update, everything works fine except Dell wireless 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. If I go to Device Manager, it shows no "X", nor it shows any complain about this driver. So, assumingly the new Windows 10 Fall Creator Update does see this Dell Wireless hardware. But when I scanned "Trouble-Shooting" for internet then it reported back that I can only connect to Network Card (or Network Cable) and cannot fix the WiFi.

When I go to "Network & Internet Settings" on the Wifi. Once I clicked on WiFi button, It stayed "ON" 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to "OFF" like a "Circuit Breaker" or the "Short Circuit Switch".

If I go to "Network" icon on the right-bottom of the screen for Internet, then there are 2 things happen:

(1) Without network cable connected for Internet, then my Wifi button, Airplane Mode button, and Mobile hotspot button display "dim" (means inactive or disable I guess)

(2) With network cable connected for Internet, then Airplane Mode button is dim, WiFi button stay dim, whereas the "Mobile hotspot" button stay "bright" (means active or enable). When I click on this" Mobile hotspot" button then it displayed names of WiFi connections in around area for 1 or 2 seconds then bounced back to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. But after that the WiFi button alternately stay "bright"whereas the Mobile hotspot alternately stayed OFF. If I hit the WiFi button, then I can see a few names of Wifi Connections around the area for 1 or 2 seconds then disappeared and it bounced to OFF state like a Circuit Breaker. Conclusively the WiFi button and the Mobile Hotspot button just stays ON/OFF alternately whichever you press.

I even tried update to latest BIOS A12 for my laptop, then I tried Airplane Mode driver provided by Dell but so useless. I tried update to uninstall and reinstall to very latest driver for wireless wifi of Dell released 1705, 1704/1708... but no avail. I even tried REALTEK 802.11 and Broadcom 802.11 with hope but come to no where.

This is the problem of Windows 10 Update bugs rather than Dell Driver bugs, But I don't know how long MIcrosoft will release this new patch. If it was Dell Driver bugs, then It must shows "X" in Device Manager, right?
I have the exact same symptom with my Dell M4700. I rolled back to the Build 1703 - every thing worked. I have now done complete reinstall and have the same problems. I have tried USB WIfi adapters and they have the same problem as the built-in Centrino.

Reaction score
Looks like this fix worked, disable Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter.
There was an additional problem, same issue when coming out of sleep, Allow Computer to turn off device to save power; had to check it (allow it). Still have to even though Virtual Adapter is disabled.

So there were 2 issues that caused the same result. Neither occurred under the previous Creator's Update.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am using laptop Dell Inspiron 3542. I'd been using Windows 10 and experience no problem at all... until I've upgraded Windows 10 Fall Creator Update (1709), I've started experiencing INCOMPATIBLE in my WiFi "Dell Wireless 802.11". Now I cannot use my wifi, neither bluetooth, nor Airplane Mode, nor Mobile hotspot.

Many attempt to uninstall and re-install the driver and even roll-back older version of driver was hopeless. I did even restore to previous Windows 10 version was no avail. I did even look for info on the internet how to overcome but no help at all.

Now I have to use network cable to hook up to internet, and waiting for either Dell Support to release a new patch of driver for this WiFi card, or the Microsoft itself release a very new patch to fix this problem.

Meantime, if any guru guys can help is very appreciate and grateful indeed

Hi all PC gurus.

I have just solved this Wifi problem of mine with the help of an expert guru of the year 2017 named PCR.

What I did was I press Fn+PrtScr (that is hold "Fn" key, then press "PrtScr" key) keys to toggle AirPlane Mode to "ON". Then I press/turn the WiFi to "ON".

Now I can use Wifi to surf the internet.

Please post me know if your problem about Wifi solved like mine

Ask a Question