SOLVED Windows Update error

Reaction score
I have the very first version of windows 10. Windows update refuses to let me update it and I keep getting this 0x800705b4 error. I tried updating by going to settings, and I tried opening the windows 10 upgrade but nothing. I tried everything I could to fix this. I watched a lot of youtube videos and nothing. Windows defender is good and working. My actual antivirus is disabled. I don't know what is wrong.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your best bet might be to go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO to a folder on the problem computer.

Once the download has completed, browse to the location where you saved it, double click it to mount it as a virtual drive and then
Run setup.exe from that construct to perform the in-place upgrade on your machine.

You should also disconnected any unneeded peripheral, leaving only a USB connected keyboard, USB connected mouse and a single monitor.
No wireless / Bluetooth adapters.
You should also probably empty the current contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete leftover remnants of previous failed attempts such as any
windows.old folders as well as and hidden folder that will likely look something like this
$Windows.~BT
in the root of C:

NORMAL DISCLAIMER: Backup all critical data AND create a disk image of your current install so you have a strong fallback option.

Reaction score
So I backup things I want to keep? Also what would happen if I don't delete the contents of the software distribution folder? And I delete all windows.old folders? And I delete the contents of the $Windows.~BT folder?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
would happen if I don't delete the contents of the software distribution folder
Well.... assuming that the contents do not contain any corrupt files and are the root cause of your issue...… nothing.
So I backup things I want to keep
Yes and additionally create a disk image so as to be able to return to where you are now, in case the upgrade for some reason causes unforeseeable problems.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I tried to update it the normal way one more time before trying this. And so far nothing weird is happening like last time. It is still installing. I'll try this way if it doesn't work for some reason.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure you give it plenty of time to complete.
I had one occasion where I was performing an upgrade on someone else's computer and for some reason ( I never did determine exactly why), it took an incredibly long time..... most of a day.
I finally left it to run over night and it finally did manage to complete.

Reaction score
Okay, I did it the normal way and it worked. Strange because it wasn't working before. Anyways, it took 90 minutes or less (probably an hour) for it to complete. Thanks for helping though.

Ask a Question