'Attempted switch from DPC' error after latest major Windows update

Reaction score
I started getting this error and BSOD after the last major update (Anniversary update?). My PC starts fine and is OK for hours, then suddenly falls over. It never did this before the update.

I have updated all my drivers and also run a scan and repair on the registry using the Registry utility in Advanced System Care, but it's still happening.

What else can I do without just rolling back to a restore point (which would presumably just try to update itself again...)

Thanks,

Reaction score
That link is for Windows 7, 8 etc - this error only started happening immediately after the latest big widows 10 update so surely it must be related to that?

The link isn't just about earlier versions of Windows. The point was to check your hardware and see if anything has gone bad or maybe in trouble, causing a crash. The system may be running hotter or addressing a memory address that it didn't before. Sometimes just reseating your memory can help. The same with video cards or other cards.

Maybe download memory test software. For example, if you have Crucial memory, they have their own software.

The only other thing might be that the PC is having problems going into or out of sleep mode. Resetting your Power Plan to defaults might help as well.

Reaction score
I tried that, but didn't help. I've run memory checks, and that's all fine, plus I've cecked that everything is seated correctly and also run several Registry checks and done repairs etc - to no avail.

Because I use my PC for my work I've had to just work on with the problem whilst I've been busy, but since then I've had a succession of additional, different, errors:

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
On one occassion I saw it said on screen that ncis.sys had failed - can I delete this file? - but I haven't seen it since

DRIVER VERIFICATION DETECTION VIOLATION
This was after I ran the driver verifier

WINDOWS COULDN'T LOAD CORRECTLY
I managed to get Windows to load after re-booting

One thing I have noticed throughout the many BSOD's - it seems to happen most often when I not using the PC - might that be a factor? I have all my monitors/drives etc on all the time ( - i.e. I don't use any 'eco'/save power or sleep settings that I'm aware of).

I've left it on all night sometimes and it hasn't fallen over, plus I've noticed that when I've played games occasionally it never seems to fail, but that could just be coincidence.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Additionally you might want to check with the system vendor (computer or motherboard) and see if there might be a firmware (BIOS) update for your specific computer / motherboard that might address the issue.

Reaction score
Did that, memory is all fine and I had updated my BIOS too - is there any easy way to get a log of what happens when it falls over?

Reaction score
Did that, memory is all fine and I had updated my BIOS too - is there any easy way to get a log of what happens when it falls over?
I have exact same problem. After having dissected my entire system piece by piece, ruling out hardware faults one component at the time, I came to realize that the core issue is if you're running the windows from a SSD HD, and have also Apps/programs on connected non ssd HD this will cause the world of troubles on some unspecific hardware setups. I tried to re-install windows with only my ssd HD connected, then all was fine and dandy. As soon as I connected a non ssd and installed apps on it, the exact problem returned. Tried with 2 different non ssd HD's and different cables (to rule these out), same result. Only by installing a SSD HD instead of the non-ssd HD the system again worked flawlessly.... I believe I have spend in excess of 40 frustrating hours investigating this bull crap fault is all Microsoft win10 related, and your hardware is fine... I'm currently strongly considering returning to windows 7... they have not yet a fix for my system ... so far, all my 6 non ssd hd's are disconnected....

Reaction score
Yes, that's my hardware setup too: running Win 10 off an SSD C drive with multiple internal and external non-SSD drives. I'm probably getting RSI from the constant ctrl-S saving of my work. I can't afford to replace all my old drives with SSD's and I need the capacity, so I'll have to endure this till they fix it. I also get 'Kmode exception not handled' error from time to time - do you?

Reaction score
Mostly i get Attempted switch from DPC, if any. Often it just freezes up. I've found that my PC runs less unstable when a game is running in a active window for some unknown reason... I have 2 screens to my PC, when working or browsing the internet, I have the game "World of Tanks" running in a separate window, this way I might get an hour or 3 in between crashes. However, if I shut down the game a system crash within 30 seconds is inevitable... amazing windows...

Reaction score
Well, I find that some people who have this exact same problem seems to get it corrected by installing new ssd hard drives, so it seems that some faulty drives will accommodate this as well. In my experience I have not tried to remove/uninstall one of the screens... But still, this is an remarkable coincidence if a hardware fault should occur at the exact instance the anniversary update was installed... and that A LOT of other people have this problem at the exact same time of installing the anniversary update... but then again, anything is possible :)

Ask a Question