SOLVED Switch from Raid to AHCI

Reaction score
Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall windows again?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong cross posting forums....

Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall windows again?
AFAIK.....I don't think you can. I've never had a RAID setup or had to brake one.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
I don't know what the link says but you need to use msconfig.exe to set you system to boot into Safe Mode. Then reboot and go into the bios and make the change.

When it reboots into Safe Mode, change it back to a normal boot and reboot.

I had to do this quiet a bit with a Dell system when switching from a PCIe drive being run as SATA instead of NVME.

Reaction score
OK, I got it done this time. I used MSCONFIG. I booted into safe-mode, went into BIOS and changed to AHCI. It worked. I lost nothing and didn't have to reinstall Windows. I think it starts faster and is a little more snappy. Thanks for replying. I'm marking it solved.

Bighorn, what's wrong with posting on 2 different forums?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bighorn, what's wrong with posting on 2 different forums?
Look again, I didn't say it was wrong. I was only pointing out there would be other answers/suggestions you should follow if truly wanting help.

Reaction score
Look again, I didn't say it was wrong. I was only pointing out there would be other answers/suggestions you should follow if truly wanting help.
Sorry Bighorn. I guess I read it wrong. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question