Switching to win 10

Reaction score
hey guys I am deciding weather or not to switch to windows 10 from win 7, I am wondering what is your views on it, what are the pros and cons of switching? I am also concerned with the privacy tracking in 10 what are your views on it I look forward to hearing from you thanks.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Windows 7 extended support life ends in 2020.....you can still use it but there be no more updates for it. That means if there are any exploits found after 2020, MS will not patch them. So you would have to move to windows 10, either now or in 2020.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Yes....windows 10 has implemented some behind the scenes telemetry.....which has/still is being debated as bad or good. That said....what are we supposed to do or use. Our choices are limited to 3, we can use either Winodws or MacOS which you have to buy an Apple PC/Laptop to use or use a Linux distro.

I personally, like to move on to new OS and get familiar with it as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Gabe-G,

Microsoft has now disabled virtually all privacy settings in W10 now and you would have to actively switch them on, there are many and you get to choose what you want to allow!.

W7 is still good for gaming as some of my old games don't/won't work on W10. You can also dual boot which gives you the best of both worlds assuming you have enough space on your hard drive!.

https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

As far as security goes, W10 might well have the edge over W7 but time will tell on that one!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Gabe-G,

Microsoft has now disabled virtually all privacy settings in W10 now and you would have to actively switch them on, there are many and you get to choose what you want to allow!.
Ummmm, that is incorrect. Yes, the ones that are controllable through the privacy settings. The telemetry itself has and still does run in the background. Cortana phones home regardless of what your privacy settings are. There are 3rd party programs, that I won't mention, that will disable telemetry.

Gabe-G, for most everything you do, Windows 7 is still fine (of course until support ends in 2020). If you game, Windows 10 for the most part, is a better option. Most older games run fine, and newer ones take advantage of DirectX 12, and Windows 10's better use of resources. And some of the newest games require Windows 10.

Reaction score
ok, also what antivirus software should i use if i decide to switch to win 10 i've heard the built in one is no good? I look forward to hearing from you thanks.

Reaction score
The Defender system in uptodate Windows 10 releases works well for me. I back it up with Malwarebytes.

W10 has worked well for me since the early days of the Insider program...I have not had any of the problems other have had.

Reaction score
I've had no major problems since switching 3 PCs from Win 7 to 10. I run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on all my machines too. Never had any malware issues since Windows 7 "Police" virus I think it was called?
Gabe Go for it! There are excellent friendly folks here that can help you if you have a problem.
I Have 2 HD for my Laptop that I can swap out, 1 (original) still has Win 7 on it and drive 2 Win 10. ver. 1709.

Ask a Question