Windows 10 cycling monitor power (sometimes) when switching between fullscreen and windowed mode

Reaction score
I realize it's not actually powering off the monitor by some command, but... read:

Just installed Windows 10 about a month or two ago, and ever since I upgraded (from Windows 7), whenever a program enters fullscreen mode (a game for example), the monitor cycles its power off and back on for a quick second, which causes it to display its "power-on" logo on the screen (in this case, the Acer logo), and wait a few seconds before it goes back to the correct display.

I watched lately when it started doing this, and the blue light that shows monitor power actually flicks off for a quick second, and then comes back on. I've never seen it do this before, but it's like maybe Windows 10 is changing the monitor display output to some insane resolution maybe, and causing it to power itself off for a second? Or it's turning the output off for a second? I'm not quite sure. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
No, it doesn't do that when it's just hiding the toolbars, etc. When the program being run (usually a game, can't think of anything else that would do that offhand) is the only thing on the monitor at all, and sets its own resolution (which could be the same as the resolution I'm currently running at, or not).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
usually a game
The means and methods various games use when utilizing the available GPU on a system are usually dictated by the game files themselves (a config file or an ini file)
Just installed Windows 10 about a month or two ago, and ever since I upgraded (from Windows 7),
As a result of the upgrade, it's possible that your GPU driver either has been updated, with a less than optimal driver as a result of Windows Updates or that it may require an upgrade or reinstall.
In either case, it is also possible that the game's configuration files are no longer optimized for the current hardware and may need to be edited or conceivably reinstalled to work properly.
Most top tier games have their own support sites, where folks that are relative experts in such things usually hang out and might be a better resource for your particular problem.
Especially if you are not experiencing any such issues with normal everyday Win32 applications.

Reaction score
I already tried the latest drivers, they were newer than what I had installed, but still same story. It's multiple games though, so it doesn't seem to be limited to just one or its implementation. I could try the forums there, but it seems Windows 10 is the common denominator in all this.

Ask a Question