SOLVED Unable to access Windows Update

Reaction score
I have a Dell 64 bit laptop with Windows 10. Everything works fine, but for one thing. Since last thursday each time I click on "check for updates" after a few seconds I get a message saying "We couldn't connect to the update service". I clicked on "Try again" with the same result. Then I tried troubleshoot updates and was told everything checks out. What else can I try? I'm 75, so keep it simple please!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
What else can I try?
Patience :)

I had the same thing happen to me a couple days back on all my machines.
It seemed to resolve itself automagically

So give it a day or two and see if it resumes. I suspect that they might be having some type of rolling issue with their CDNs

Reaction score
I am having the same issues on my machines plus two that I worked on a few days ago. Sucks when it takes 2 hours to download, install, and on reboot have the error message that the updates can't be installed and the system will be reverted back. Wish MS would finally get something right.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Patience :)

I had the same thing happen to me a couple days back on all my machines.
It seemed to resolve itself automagically

So give it a day or two and see if it resumes. I suspect that they might be having some type of rolling issue with their CDNs
Heh Presto, tonight it suddenly worked okay, probably someone at Microsoft dropped a stitch when programming the last two updates on the 23rd Jan???

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I've never been able to turn on Windows Defender (or whatever it's called). I've tried to turn it on manually, but no joy. I use a third party anti virus program, and I've never had a virus.

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I've never been able to turn on Windows Defender (or whatever it's called). I've tried to turn it on manually, but no joy. I use a third party anti virus program, and I've never had a virus.
If running a third-party antivirus program Windows Defender usually gets turned off. It's rather dangerous having 2 installed and running as their definitions can see things differently.

Reaction score
Let me clarify. I've never been able to turn on Windows Defender. Full Stop. I use use a third party anti virus INSTEAD OF Defender.
I have turned off the third party antivirus and followed instructions to turn on Windows Defender but that has never worked. Instead of Windows Defender I use a third party antivirus.

Reaction score
I have a Win7 laptop that has NEVER updated itself despite being set to auto update, I've had no problems with this machine either.

Ask a Question