SOLVED Unable to access USB Micro SD card

Reaction score
I get an error Please insert disk into USB drive G and cannot access the drive either to read or write data. I have gone through several online help topics without any success. Any help would be appreciated. I have:
  • Windows 10 Pro Version 1803
  • Dell inspiron 530

Reaction score
It would help if you tell us what you have you have tried to solve the problem. Can you see the card if you open disk management?

Reaction score
Have you also had the card in a different PC and did you safely remove it from the other device?. ;)

Reaction score
I have two different older card readers, one hp, one compaq, that won't detect any sd cards. The USB ports in them work, and the light comes on both when inserting a card, but nothing's detected. Both work fine with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. not sure what it is with Windows 10.

Reaction score
It's not clear exactly what you are doing. Are you using an external card reader that's not working?

May well be some type of driver issue.

Can you try the card reader on another computer?

When you look in device manager, do you see any errors indicated?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dell inspiron 530
Some of those models came with an optional multi-bay that supported various types of card media.
It would be nice if the OP would return an advise as to what device he is using, or....
We can all just continue to speculate and guess.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
I do not see the card with Disk Management. When I had the card in a different machine I made sure to remove it safely, although that does not really matter. I have a new IO gear card reader and used it to read other sd cards. The only card it will not read is the Micro SD Card either in the adapter or without the adapter. The computer just does not see the Micro SD cards. Incidentally the other Win 10 computers are behaving the same way.

Reaction score
There is always the option that either the adapter is bad (happens all the time to me) or the card is bad which also can happen. Is this the only card that cannot be read??

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly, The computer sees other cards I insert via a card reader. I've tried two Micro SD cards and get the same response Removable disk (H) no media.

Reaction score
I do not see the card with Disk Management. When I had the card in a different machine I made sure to remove it safely, although that does not really matter. I have a new IO gear card reader and used it to read other sd cards. The only card it will not read is the Micro SD Card either in the adapter or without the adapter. The computer just does not see the Micro SD cards. Incidentally the other Win 10 computers are behaving the same way.
It may be possible that it is not the SD card but the hardware you are using?, what do other SD cards do when inserted, can they be read?. Did you format the format accidently?. ;)

Reaction score
What size is the micro SD card?? some readers may have a limit (I have a few card readers that can read SD/micro SD cards only up to 2GB). Do you have a digital camera or a cell phone where you can test the card? these usually can read large SD cards...
if that is not the case, you might have a bad card.

Reaction score
What size is the micro SD card?? some readers may have a limit (I have a few card readers that can read SD/micro SD cards only up to 2GB). Do you have a digital camera or a cell phone where you can test the card? these usually can read large SD cards...
Ditto. SD cards marked SDHC are larger capacity, 4GB and up, and some readers can't use them, mostly older Notebooks and USB readers. I even have an older camera that declares a 4GB SDHC card is full when it's not but a 2GB SD-only is fine. My backward-compatible solution is a pocketable SDHC reader that also accepts the MicroSDXC card from phones, about $10 at Wal*Mart.

Reaction score
I have two sd card readers (a) Sabrent USB 3, and (b) IOGEAR GFR204SD. I have two 16 GB Micro SD cards none of which can be read through either card readers. I have a 2GB SD and a 32 SDHC card both of which can be read through both card readers. The only ones I cannot read are the Micro SD card. Are there special drivers required to read them?

Reaction score
The IOGEAR reader is suppose to be able to read up to 1TB cards, so that should not be a problem.
I tend to say that maybe your cards are defective

Reaction score
I assume by Micro SD you are referring to the very small cards which may have been delivered with a larger adapter the cards can be inserted into? If so, have you tried the larger adapter?

On my laptops, the Micro SD cards are spring loaded and stick out very little when inserted.

I am not sure why you are getting message about inserting media showing some drive letter. Those types of messages would normally happen for devices such as DVDs which already had a drive letter prior to the media being inserted.

I hate to bring it up, but are all of your systems the same age as the Inspiron 530? You may have a new reader but you still have older USB controllers. If newer Win 10 systems are behaving the same, it is probably something else.

How is the card formatted? Did you get them new?

Reaction score
I just had an issue with one of my SDHC cards that wont be read in my IOGEAR GFR209R. Turned out, this card was RAW and did not have a file system on it whereas all my others were able to be read.
As Saltgrass already mentioned, is your card even formatted??
I cannot think of anything else right now......

Reaction score
I have two sd card readers (a) Sabrent USB 3, and (b) IOGEAR GFR204SD. I have two 16 GB Micro SD cards none of which can be read through either card readers. I have a 2GB SD and a 32 SDHC card both of which can be read through both card readers. The only ones I cannot read are the Micro SD card. Are there special drivers required to read them?

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

It turned out both cards were faulty. I got another brand card and it worked right away. So sorry for all the confusion I caused. Thanks much for your help.

Ask a Question