SOLVED Windows 10 update says it can't connect to the update service

Reaction score
It goes on to ask me to check my internet connection, but mine is fine. Network troubleshooter says there is a problem because Windows could not detect this network's proxy settings.I have checked internet properties - connections - LAN settings and "automatically detect settings" is the only ticked box. In settings "PROXY" the "automatically detect settings" is on. I have run SFC and DISM scans and all appears O.K. I have restarted the network adapter. I have checked that my network adapter for updated drivers but mine are O.K. I have checked the DNS server and internet protocol settings are correct. Another online suggestion was to "flush DNS and reset TCP/IP" - didn't correct the problem. I also reset Windows sockets and IP - no improvement. Finally I decided to use my well trusted Macrium Reflect backup and to roll back the C Drive to before my last successful Windows update which was on 25th January. This should have cured the problem [Macrium has never failed me in the past] and I was disappointed and amazed to find that the problem had not gone away. I even tried reverting my system to last December but without solving the problem. I cannot see why if my system was receiving windows updates normally back then why it does not still do so after reversion. Help would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow..... that was a lot of work.
There has been some continuing issues with exactly what you have reported "can't connect to the update service"
It hit here in the Midwest area of the U.S. a day or two ago
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/unable-to-access-windows-update.18455/#post-95254
AND
Since it was happening on all my machines, I assumed that it wasn't something to do with all of my computers simultaneously
A while later it seemed to be fixed (by Microsoft I presume) and so far hasn't reoccurred

It may be a rolling problem that could be impacting various geographical regions at different times and or on different dates and seems to be temporary.

Reaction score
Thanks for your report. "Wow" certainly sums up all the work I have been landed with - many hours over over several days and growing more despondent all the while. The problem had been with me for over a week!! This morning after reading your reply I checked out Windows update again and can you believe it I found it to be in action again!! Microsoft can be a pain too often for my liking - why didn't they post a warning when they realised the problem had occurred. When my use of Macrium Reflect failed it seemed almost certain that the problem was external but I came across no reports online to suggest a problem with Microsoft.
Thanks again for your trouble.

Ask a Question