Windows 10 update version 1809 freezes

Reaction score
I have been trying now for two days to get this windows 1809 installed..

Here is what happens, I click the install update, it loads and says 100%, thing it needs a reboot. I reboot it starts to install gets to around 55% and freezes, I click the shut off button, then I click the machine back on the update continues on where it stopped, then at 81 to 85 % it freezes again, I click the shut off button, and click the on button, now it reverts back to previous version..

I have followed others advice, even what is on Microsoft's site, nothing works..

Not sure if this can be part of my problem, I was looking at the updates installed and I see windows 10 version 1803 failed to install sometime ago..

Running with a Gateway Desktop, use to be windows 7 and I booted it to windows 10 long time ago..

Never had any problems with updates until 1803, this is the first to fail..

Anyone have any ideas or solutions. windows 10.png

Reaction score
I'm no guru but I think the issue may be that you weren't updated to 1803. I had many updates to 1803 to get my device ready to update to 1809. On my little Dell 2 in 1, it took hours to update. My other devices went faster. I've gotten those hang issues in the past with updates and I find the best thing to do is just walk away and wait. In your case since the previous update isn't installed it may be that though. Have you tried uninstalling all those previous updates and then trying to install 1803 again?

Reaction score
Thanks Karen. No never thought of removing updates. May try that later today.

I am just about ready maybe to try a clean install.

Reaction score
Some computer brands simply don't play nice with 1809. I had that problem with my MSI board. As it turned out, many other MSI users had similar problems and MSI was eventually forced to release a new version of their BIOS. Once I installed the new BIOS, I was able to update without problems. You might want to check the website of your manufacturer and see, if others had problems similar to yours and/or if your manufacturer has released a new BIOS to address these problems.

Reaction score
Bonsoir,

Binkie, vous devez installer Windows 1803. Ensuite, procédez aux mises à jour. Puis, finalement, installateur la 1809.
Personnellement, j'attends que Microsoft me le propose. Et puis, 1803 fonctionne très bien avec mon PC Lenovo. Mieux quand mon Toshiba en tous cas.

Bonne continuation.

Reaction score

Here is what happens, I click the install update, it loads and says 100%, thing it needs a reboot. I reboot it starts to install gets to around 55% and freezes, I click the shut off button, then I click the machine back on the update continues on where it stopped, then at 81 to 85 % it freezes again, I click the shut off button, and click the on button, now it reverts back to previous version..
I have followed others advice, even what is on Microsoft's site, nothing works..
Not sure if this can be part of my problem, I was looking at the updates installed and I see windows 10 version 1803 failed to install sometime ago..
Running with a Gateway Desktop, use to be windows 7 and I booted it to windows 10 long time ago..
Anyone have any ideas or solutions.View attachment 9720

WARNING - Binkie "DONT DO A CLEAN INSTALL" try my 2 steps below first, they work without any problems and they are an alternative method for 1809 instalation!!!

Firstly, I've never had a problem installing the 1809 and/or using it, all its OS builds and previous OS builds and versions have always installed perfectly, YES Windows Update is problematic and freezes and stops working but, there are other steps that you can take to overpass Windows Update and install versions and OS builds in different ways!!!

Btw, this is on my 9 year old Acer Aspire 5750 laptop with a 7 year old BIOS, yes I've upgraded the CPU to an i7-2720QM, RAM to 8GB and the HDD to an SSD Samsung Evo 850 which is essential for todays windows 10 and version 1809 to make it operate faultlessly, my laptop handles 1809 perfectly and very speedily without any problems. Also, it’s not a problem not having version 1803, you don’t need it.

Do these steps before doing the update:

Step-1

1. Go to ‘This PC’
2. Right click on drive “C:\” or your boot drive
3. Click ‘Properties”
4. Click ‘Disk Cleanup”
5. Click ‘Clean up system files’ – make sure that ‘Downloaded program files’ is checked at the top
6. Then click ‘Ok”

Btw, this should be done after every version update and OS build update, as it cleans up all you previous updated program files and frees up room on your HDD and should set you up for the latest version 1809 OS Build 17763.292 to install from the link below. Don't use 'Windows Update' if its giving you problems, doing it this way is much quicker and installs versions and OS builds faultlessly!

Step-2
Go to “Download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available, click on “Update now” and try to use this tool to get 1809, I'm not sure if it downloads the latest OS Build 17763.292? But to get latest OS builds 'stand alone packages' go to this link:https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4476976 and you can download any OS build there, that you are missing.

Just as a suggestion, your CPU and graphics could be updated also, the ancient Core i5-2320 that you have is a bit old and could be updated to a Core i5-2550K or even better to a Core i7-2700K which are all compatible upgrades with your motherboard socket 1155 that the i5-2320 is (this all depends on your budget but, they are not very expensive to buy on ebay or amazon) these CPU's are all much quicker CPU's and better with your 8GB RAM that you have and could also be increased to physical memory to 32 GB RAM with these CPU's to make Win-10 Home v1809 run quicker and better, its essential to have an SSD that will boost your speed by 1000% (if you have one) for your read and write speeds and especially boot time.

It dosen’t matter if you don’t have 1803 as a version update is like virtually reinstalling a new windows operating system and it will update it to the current version and OS build without losing any files, see attached file. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Verion 1809 OS build 17765.292.JPG
    Verion 1809 OS build 17765.292.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Reaction score

I also have a Gateway i5-2300 and at the moment I am quite happy (ignorance is bliss) because it says my system is up to date. Ha!!! Now, if I could only freeze it in the current state. I don't want any more "improvements". My latest history of updates:
Feature update to WIN10, version 1809 -- requires restart
-- Failed to install 0Xc1900101
-- requires restart
-- requires restart
Of course this whole sequence of events has happened before. I only use this computer to store my pictures, so I am about ready to unplug it from the internet. Naturally, about 3 weeks ago all of my pictures disappeared. This was about a month or so after the original warning that 1809 might remove your files (found on Windows.Old).
To make matters worse I have five computers. Microsoft updates have caused problems with three of the
five computers. On my main Dell XPS 2720 computer I had to switch from NOTEPAD to NOTEPADX because "This app can't run on your system." How in hell could Microsoft screw up Notepad??? I won't bore you with the other problems like corrupted files that can't be repaired.
If only Microsoft would start charging for updates, so I could refuse them. Their updates have caused me more problems than hackers and viruses.

Reaction score
WARNING - Binkie "DONT DO A CLEAN INSTALL" try my 2 steps below first, they work without any problems and they are an alternative method for 1809 instalation!!!

Firstly, I've never had a problem installing the 1809 and/or using it, all its OS builds and previous OS builds and versions have always installed perfectly, YES Windows Update is problematic and freezes and stops working but, there are other steps that you can take to overpass Windows Update and install versions and OS builds in different ways!!!

Btw, this is on my 9 year old Acer Aspire 5750 laptop with a 7 year old BIOS, yes I've upgraded the CPU to an i7-2720QM, RAM to 8GB and the HDD to an SSD Samsung Evo 850 which is essential for todays windows 10 and version 1809 to make it operate faultlessly, my laptop handles 1809 perfectly and very speedily without any problems. Also, it’s not a problem not having version 1803, you don’t need it.

Do these steps before doing the update:

Step-1

1. Go to ‘This PC’
2. Right click on drive “C:\” or your boot drive
3. Click ‘Properties”
4. Click ‘Disk Cleanup”
5. Click ‘Clean up system files’ – make sure that ‘Downloaded program files’ is checked at the top
6. Then click ‘Ok”

Btw, this should be done after every version update and OS build update, as it cleans up all you previous updated program files and frees up room on your HDD and should set you up for the latest version 1809 OS Build 17763.292 to install from the link below. Don't use 'Windows Update' if its giving you problems, doing it this way is much quicker and installs versions and OS builds faultlessly!

Step-2
Go to “Download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available, click on “Update now” and try to use this tool to get 1809, I'm not sure if it downloads the latest OS Build 17763.292? But to get latest OS builds 'stand alone packages' go to this link:https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4476976 and you can download any OS build there, that you are missing.

Just as a suggestion, your CPU and graphics could be updated also, the ancient Core i5-2320 that you have is a bit old and could be updated to a Core i5-2550K or even better to a Core i7-2700K which are all compatible upgrades with your motherboard socket 1155 that the i5-2320 is (this all depends on your budget but, they are not very expensive to buy on ebay or amazon) these CPU's are all much quicker CPU's and better with your 8GB RAM that you have and could also be increased to physical memory to 32 GB RAM with these CPU's to make Win-10 Home v1809 run quicker and better, its essential to have an SSD that will boost your speed by 1000% (if you have one) for your read and write speeds and especially boot time.

It dosen’t matter if you don’t have 1803 as a version update is like virtually reinstalling a new windows operating system and it will update it to the current version and OS build without losing any files, see attached file. Hope this helps

Hi Steven, I followed your instruction, took a long time, doing all this, I ended up shutting the machine down at midnight. I started over this morning. It failed as usual, reboot froze, forced restart, 75% froze, force restart, 81% froze, force restart, reverting back to previous version..

Ron.

Reaction score
Hi Steven, I followed your instruction, took a long time, doing all this, I ended up shutting the machine down at midnight. I started over this morning. It failed as usual, reboot froze, forced restart, 75% froze, force restart, 81% froze, force restart, reverting back to previous version..

Ron.

There could be a number of factors why you are having these problems, as I said to you before, it could be hardware related e.g. HDD, RAM which are the main culprits which are very big factors, especially faulty and slow spinner HDD (change it to an SSD and you will see the unbelievable difference) why people have problems like you, one thing is that "Windows 10 Home and Pro' work with v1809 perfectly. Just as an example, I have an Acer ONE-HAPPY2 with an Atom 1.66 GHz CPU with the very low Intel 3150 imbedded graphics and a 250GB SSD, 2GB RAM (which I've upgraded) and Windows Home v1809 works perfectly, this laptop is very basic but v1809 works on it! You should have left the update until it installs, that could take a few hours until the update 'cleans all the corrupted files' and updates them, if it can't after about e.g. 12 hours (yes I know its long) but slow spinner HDD's are the culprits with very slow systems running Windows 10 and contribute to system corruption. Do a clean install, after that if you are still having these same problems then, there is definitely something wrong with your hardware and it needs updating , to what I've suggested to you and I've done to 3 of my computers!.

Do a 'clean install' and make sure that 'You Backup All Your Files' before you do that! You can download a clean Win-10 .iso and/or a boot USB from the this link from Microsoft 'Create Windows 10 installation media' at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow all the steps that are on there.

Btw, I've never ever had your problem with any of my 4 computers, one is a 9 years old Acer Aspire 5750 laptop and an 8 year old Acer HAPPY2 very basic laptop 10" screen the third is a 6 years old ASUS i7 desktop that I personally built and the last is a recently built spec Intel Core i9-7980XE desktop so, Windows 10 Home and Pro v1809 works perfectly and your problem is very unusual! Start a fresh install, my suggestion is to never miss an update, then you should have no problems, its always worked for me with Windows 10 and all its versions!.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There could be a number of factors why you are having these problems, as I said to you before, it could be hardware related e.g. HDD, RAM which are the main culprits which are very big factors, especially faulty and slow spinner HDD (change it to an SSD and you will see the unbelievable difference) why people have problems like you, one thing is that "Windows 10 Home and Pro' work with v1809 perfectly. Just as an example, I have an Acer ONE-HAPPY2 with an Atom 1.66 GHz CPU with the very low Intel 3150 imbedded graphics and a 250GB SSD, 2GB RAM (which I've upgraded) and Windows Home v1809 works perfectly, this laptop is very basic but v1809 works on it! You should have left the update until it installs, that could take a few hours until the update 'cleans all the corrupted files' and updates them, if it can't after about e.g. 12 hours your system is corrupted and needs to have a clean install, after that if you are still having these problems then, there is definitely something wrong with your hardware!.

Do a 'clean install' and make sure that 'You Backup All Your Files' before you do that! You can download a clean Win-10 .iso and/or a boot USB from the this link from Microsoft 'Create Windows 10 installation media' at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow all the steps that are on there.

Btw, I've never ever had your problem with any of my 4 computers, one is a 9 years old laptop and 8 year old Acer HAPPY2 very basic laptop 10" screen with 1.66GHz CPU, 250GB SSD, 2GB RAM the third is a 6 years old desktop and the last is a latest spec desktop so, Windows 10 v1809 works perfectly and your problem is very unusual! Start a fresh install, my suggestion is to never miss an update, then you should have no problems, its always worked for me with Windows 10 and all its versions!.

Steven this is the first time in twenty some years I have had a problem installing updates.. I have had two Gateway computers, the old one is Windows XP, never a problem, I have a Gateway laptop, with Windows XP, never a problem, I also use a Dell Inspiron, that a lady friend gave me because her son decided to install a second O/S on top of the original. I got that one straightened out and still use it today, it also was Windows 7 and I put it up to Windows 10, and it updates great.
This Gateway I got about 5 years ago, it was Windows 7 and I got it up to Windows 10, it always updated with no problems, until a week ago...

I will try what you say. I am heading back to my other place in Canada, I will take this machine with me and do it there, because I will have more time to work on it..

Thanks for your help.

Ron.

Reaction score
Steven this is the first time in twenty some years I have had a problem installing updates.. I have had two Gateway computers, the old one is Windows XP, never a problem, I have a Gateway laptop, with Windows XP, never a problem, I also use a Dell Inspiron, that a lady friend gave me because her son decided to install a second O/S on top of the original. I got that one straightened out and still use it today, it also was Windows 7 and I put it up to Windows 10, and it updates great.
This Gateway I got about 5 years ago, it was Windows 7 and I got it up to Windows 10, it always updated with no problems, until a week ago...

I will try what you say. I am heading back to my other place in Canada, I will take this machine with me and do it there, because I will have more time to work on it..

Thanks for your help.

Ron.
Ron, to me (and I've got over 30 years experience building computers) it seems like your spinner HDD is too slow for the v1809 or its got some issues since the v1709 as you couldn't install 1803, this happened to me on my Acer 5750 laptop and the One-Happy2 laptop and once i changed the spinner HDD to an SSD the difference was outstanding but, I also updated the 5750's CPU to and i7-2720QM from an i5-2410M (which is laptop CPU) and is very similar to yours which are 2nd Gen Intel's but, the difference was also unbelievable as the increase from the i5-2410M's 2 core to 4 and 4 threads to 8 also helped tremendously, in your case you could increase your RAM to 16 GB to a max of 32GB which will also helps substantially. Good luck and I hope that you sort your problems out, cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ron, to me (and I've got over 30 years experience building computers) it seems like your spinner HDD is too slow for the v1809 or its got some issues since the v1709 as you couldn't install 1803, this happened to me on my Acer 5750 laptop and the One-Happy2 laptop and once i changed the spinner HDD to an SSD the difference was outstanding but, I also updated the 5750's CPU to and i7-2720QM from a 2410M (which is laptop CPU) and is very similar to yours which are 2nd Gen Intel's but, the difference was also unbelievable as the increase from the 2410M's 2 core to 4 and 4 threads to 8 also helped tremendously, in your case you could increase your RAM to 16 GB which will also helps substantially. Good luck and I hope that you sort your problems out, cheers!

Guy on Microsoft Community says there are errors in the database.

Can I ask you what the spinner HDD is and how would I make the change to SSD from HDD.

See I'm lost when it comes to the components, I did change motherboards in my Dell and an Acer I use to have..

I have AT&T high speed, but like you say the machine is slow.. I own a Arcade website with about 6500 games on the forum, and when I install game using the FTP it is as slow as molasses. I know loading things using this machine I get timed out a lot..

My hard drive is Gateway (C) 917.41 GB NTFS. What would you recommend I put in here.

Reaction score
Guy on Microsoft Community says there are errors in the database.

Can I ask you what the spinner HDD is and how would I make the change to SSD from HDD.

See I'm lost when it comes to the components, I did change motherboards in my Dell and an Acer I use to have..

I have AT&T high speed, but like you say the machine is slow.. I own a Arcade website with about 6500 games on the forum, and when I install game using the FTP it is as slow as molasses. I know loading things using this machine I get timed out a lot..

My hard drive is Gateway (C) 917.41 GB NTFS. What would you recommend I put in here.

To explain it to you, it goes like this, the ‘spindle/plater HDDs’ are the old spinning type HDD (they spin at about 7200rpm or 5400rpm that's about the common ones around these days) which is what you have as your "Gateway (C) 917.41 GB NTFS" these HDDs are on a spindle and the platter spins and an actuator head reads the data, that's how they work, they are good HDD’s but they are prone to malfunction, loss of data and their actuator head failing, this is especially if they are as old as yours! The SSDs on the other hand, are much faster than HDD’s, are smaller and lighter and run cooler, making them easier to fit into low-profile PCS having no mechanical parts to move, consume less power, so they are easier on PSUs and the environment, are also silent for the same reason. The only thing with spinner/HDDs is that they have the advantage in terms of size for money, but SSDs are getting cheaper.

Ron., I would suggest that you purchase a 1TB SSD as your “Gateway (C) 917.41 GB NTFS” is about that size (1TB) and they are all SATA plug and play, so all you have to do is unplug your old HDD and replace it with the SSD. My suggestion is that you buy a Samsung SSD (they are one of the quickest and most reliable) I’ve had mine for 2 years now and I have had no troubles, crashes and/or anything with them. Mine is a Samsung 850 EVO, it’s not the current model but they are much cheaper than the current model of the Samsung 860 Pro or the 860 EVO (it depends on your budget) but, you don’t need the latest and greatest, the 850 EVO would be the most suitable for your old system. Btw the 850 EVO on my Acer Aspire 5750 laptop works lighting fast and its improved that laptop from a 2-4 min boot to a 10 sec boot time of Windows 10 Pro.

If you purchase the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB you can install a ‘clean install version 1809’ of Windows 10 Home, it will be very quick and your computer will function much faster and more efficiently, don’t forget to backup your valuable existing drive data (before swapping drives) so that you don’t lose any personal data. But and also, you can use the old HDD as a ‘Slave Drive’ (after its backed up and if its not faulty) as the spinner HDDs work very well as a 'Slave Drive'. Also, the Samsung SSDs come with the Samsung ‘Data Migration’ (that is a cloning Samsung software) and Samsung ‘Magician’ (that is a tuning tool) for your SSD drive. Hope this helps, good luck and and if you have any troubles just post a question. Cheers

Just as a Note: This is the 'User Benchmark' stats of the 850 EVO SSD. Based on 311,787 user benchmarks. Models: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB.

Outstanding average bench

The Samsung 850 Evo 500GB averaged 13.7% higher than the peak scores attained by the group leaders. This is an excellent result which ranks the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB near the top of the comparison list.
Strengths
Avg. 4K-64Thread Mixed IO Speed 326MB/s
Avg. 4K Random Mixed IO Speed 55.4MB/s
See where your SSD ranks →
Below average consistency
The range of scores (95th - 5th percentile) for the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB is 54%. This is a relatively wide range which indicates that the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB performs inconsistently under varying real world conditions.
Weaknesses
Avg. Sustained Write Speed 357MB/s
Avg. Sequential Mixed IO Speed 374MB/s

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having the same issue as Binkie not only on my 2 systems but on 2 others I was working on this past Friday. Something weird is going on at Microsoft with their servers. 4 different computers all with different hardware. Updates say they are downloading then installing. Then I am told to reboot. Upon reboot I get the message "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." Binkie in my honest opinion there is nothing wrong with your computer. The problem lies with Microsoft. And I too have years of fixing computers under my belt.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue as Binkie not only on my 2 systems but on 2 others I was working on this past Friday. Something weird is going on at Microsoft with their servers. 4 different computers all with different hardware. Updates say they are downloading then installing. Then I am told to reboot. Upon reboot I get the message "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." Binkie in my honest opinion there is nothing wrong with your computer. The problem lies with Microsoft. And I too have years of fixing computers under my belt.

ram1220, with all due respect and I do sympathise with you and your problem(s) but, the Microsoft ‘windows update’ is very well known to be, finicky and sometimes dosen’t download etc etc, yes I know that but, there are other ways (as I’m sure that you know, with your experience and as I’ve explained above) of how to download Windows 10 version and OS build updates. In ‘Binkie’s’ case he deleted all ‘Downloaded program files’ (which is very important and I do that after ever OS build and/or version update) and cleaned his system out and did a ‘clean install’ of version 1809 and it still didn’t work, so, in your case did you try the same? Because, that is what I do, if the ‘Windows Update’ looks and/or seems to give me any downloading and as you said “Something weird is going on at Microsoft with their servers” is happening, all I do is revert to the standalone OS builds updates (downloaded to a pen USB drive and install them that way) this has always worked perfectly for me, as did using the ‘Windows10Upgrade9252.exe’ for version updates e.g. 1809, 1803, 1709 etc, these are the other alternatives that anybody can take to overcome the ‘windows update’ bugs and fallouts but, it dosen’t fix any hardware and/or Microsoft and anybody else's server, networking problems, .

Reaction score
I'm no guru but I think the issue may be that you weren't updated to 1803. I had many updates to 1803 to get my device ready to update to 1809. On my little Dell 2 in 1, it took hours to update. My other devices went faster. I've gotten those hang issues in the past with updates and I find the best thing to do is just walk away and wait. In your case since the previous update isn't installed it may be that though. Have you tried uninstalling all those previous updates and then trying to install 1803 again?

I updated from a 3 year old version without issue

Reaction score

Try going to the site and downloading the media tool then running the upgrade from that. You can do as upgrade from within windows or as a clean install from the boot, bu t that method will lose everything you have on your computer. Do a google search of windows 10 1809 download.

Ask a Question