Windows 10 update version 1809 freezes

Reaction score
Over a year ago I ran into a similar issue with upgrading a Dell XPS L501X with an i5 processor and plenty of memory and disk space upgrading from 1803 to the 1903 version, my computer would not finish the upgrade and when forced to restart it reverted to 1803. Trying to do a clean rebuild resulted in a failure and I had to restore the 1803 version. I locked the system down at 1803 but was eventually forced by Microsoft to go to 1809 which has the same failure. I can no longer do Microsoft upgrades on that machine and only use it off network.

The issue was determined to be some drives that Dell & Intel supplied for that Dell computer that are no longer compatible with the Microsoft Windows 10 versions being mandated. Both Dell and Intel say the drivers are no longer supported by them and to buy a new computer. Don’t know if you have the same issue but it sounds familiar.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
I have a post about Update install that caused my bluescreen. I found a VERY simple fix. If you go to Windows Support and search for Windows Update Trouble shooter and download the Windows Update TroubleShooter tool and run it as Administrator it should fix your problem. It did mine and I have fighting the thing for a month. Make sure you get the one for your version of windows Window 10 Or here is the Instruction file. The name of the file you want is wu10.diag.cab.

Attachments

• Instructions WTSU.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reaction score
Over a year ago I ran into a similar issue with upgrading a Dell XPS L501X with an i5 processor and plenty of memory and disk space upgrading from 1803 to the 1903 version, my computer would not finish the upgrade and when forced to restart it reverted to 1803. Trying to do a clean rebuild resulted in a failure and I had to restore the 1803 version. I locked the system down at 1803 but was eventually forced by Microsoft to go to 1809 which has the same failure. I can no longer do Microsoft upgrades on that machine and only use it off network.

The issue was determined to be some drives that Dell & Intel supplied for that Dell computer that are no longer compatible with the Microsoft Windows 10 versions being mandated. Both Dell and Intel say the drivers are no longer supported by them and to buy a new computer. Don’t know if you have the same issue but it sounds familiar.

Best of luck!
What drivers are you talking about? Please be more specific. As I've got an Acer 5750-2414 with an upgraded i7-2720QM CPU (from its OEM i5-2410M) and upgraded the RAM to Samsung DDR3 or PC3 1.50V (JEDEC compliant) of 8GB CL11-12800MHz and with a Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD and also changed the OEM Atheros WiFi card to an Atheros WiFi/Bluetooth card and Win-10 update has updated all drivers except for the WiFi/BT that I had to get from an Atheros driver website, and of course you have to press '<Fn> + <F3>' keys to activate the BT after installation of the drivers. The Acer 5750-2414 is a 2010 laptop model and all the drivers on all Win-10 Pro visions up to v1903 work perfectly with no compatibility issues but and if you are using any of the Dell and/or Acer imbedded software, that is where these conflicts could happen and maybe, that is where these issues are, as I always do a clean install of Windows and get rid of the imbedded software of these manufacturers!

I've just upgraded my above Acer (to a so called newer laptop lol) the Acer V3-571G (that is 7 years old) with Core i7-3610QM, NVIDIA 640M and Intel HD 4000 Graphics with the new DDR3L or PCL3 1.35V (JEDEC compliant) memory of 8Gb CL13-18600MHz RAM, 1TB Samsung 960 EVO SSD that also runs Win-10 Pro V1903 and it work perfectly and faultlessly and as matter of a fact, the v1903 has made both of these systems even faster especially in MS Office and right across the board.

Last edited:

Ask a Question