Running Windows 10 version 1607. Feature update 1709 was interrupted no internet access

Reaction score
My OS is windows 10 v 1607 64-bit upgraded from 7 home premium on a HP PENTIUM(R) DUAL CORE CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 4.50GB RAM.

I got the anniversary version from microsoft in 2016 and other than working out a few bugs with my apps here and there I've had no problems until two weeks back. During a normal restart the blue screen came up saying, 'preparing windows, do not turn off your computer' which told me an update was in progress.

There was a pending Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 or it could've been a cumulative update it didn't indicate which one otherwise all normal stuff until right about then a power outage killed the pc and when power returned it appeared to be finishing the update but both failed according to the update history in settings, after setup loaded everything appeared to be okay but I couldn't get back online.

I don't have a cable or internet through a service, I've always used a hotspot and wifi adapter for this desktop computer and never had an issue before. Numerous attempts focused on that device trying suggestions by multiple 'solved' solutions from this communuity help site and others via my cell phone only reinforced the conclusion that the problem was not the wifi adapter.

Using the same help solution sources (mostly here) now focusing on the network adapter including reseting it, uninstalling-reinstalling drivers and software, changing settings around and back again several times yeilded the same results, both devices working properly. I also disabled windows firewalls, defender and uninstalled my norton security and identity safe including a vpn I was using, all completely removed.

What's frustrating is the wifi icon on the taskbar shows a good solid connection with the network, secure and internet access but I can't connect with browser, using the network troubleshooter or by any other means. Aware it's an older model but that's never been an issue. It's not the source, I can get online fine using other devives just not my PC. I'm only guessing it has to be an issue with the operating system but I ran through all the trouhbleshooting solutions I could find including a system restore, but that only had one point and it was the interrupted update nothing previous...it didn't work.

Exhausting all the solutions I could find I reached a point considerng a clean install of my previous version 7, I have the disk and product key but I've actually never done one and it seems extreme for what should've been a simple problem to fix. I know I missed something, hoping someone can tell me what. Grateful for any help or suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Open" box, click "OK", scroll down to "WLAN AutoConfig" and make sure "Startup type" is set to "Automatic". If it isn't, double-click it and change it, then start it up or just reboot the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Open" box, click "OK", scroll down to "WLAN AutoConfig" and make sure "Startup type" is set to "Automatic". If it isn't, double-click it and change it, then start it up or just reboot the computer.

Ben
Thanks Ben will give it a try after work.

Reaction score
Thanks Ben will give it a try after work.
As there was a 'power outage killed the pc and when power returned it appeared to be finishing' this could have damaged components on your pc such as your cpu and ram and ps and did not download all the update of 1709 and its corrupt. Check these components as they might be working but could be damaged, power outages are not very good thing for a pc components and/or an update of the op! Firstly, check your cpu then ram, if they are not damaged in any way? Secondly, any freezing of OP's could be most likely related to your hardware, in most cases it could many other components that might be damaged! Especially check your Intel Pentium E5200 processor as its 10 years old and could be at fault or on the way out, due to this power outage and its not performing 100%, then your ram could be the culprit also and go through all the components.

Another thing that people don't do is to clean the their old windows updates in Windows 10. You do this by going to 'This PC' > right click on your primary boot drive (C) Properties > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files > and check 'Windows Update Cleanup' which keeps old copies of windows update even when it installs newer versions of windows update, these files can take up GB's of space and they could conflict with new updates. After that install the new windows update. That's what I do before every windows update and I've never ever had any problems with any update.

If the above is all good then try this, firstly, check that you have the last 1607 update 'March 29, 2018—KB4096309 (OS Build 14393.2156)' if you have then go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4088891 (where all the Win 10 updates are) and get a standalone updates of last 1703 update which is the 'March 22, 2018—KB4088891 (OS Build 15063.994)' and install it then, get the 1709 last update 'March 22, 2018—KB4089848 (OS Build 16299.334)' and install it. You need to have all the consecutive updates installed to be able to install the last Windows 10 update which is the 1709, you can't just go from 1607 straight to 1709 update but, I can't understand that windows update has allowed the latest 1709 update to be installed on your computer without the 1703 as it won't work.

With all these problems that you have outlined, my suggestion (from experience) is that your best solution will be to do a clean install of Windows 10! I wouldn't persist in fixing anything, 'Do a Windows 10 USB boot drive' and start allover again! You can get that from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/sof...s10?36261b60-2f68-4336-abe2-4b00f210b6aa=True and get the 'MediaCreationTool' and make a Windows 10 Pro USB boot drive (you need a min 8GB USB pin drive). Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question