Windows 10 intermittently hangs even when no programs are running

Reaction score
Hi, I have a relatively blank windows 10 machine, except for the stuff that's pre-loaded. I'm not a techie so I don't like touching things unless I have to.

My machine is an acer running on windows 10 (not sure what version, I assume the most basic one that comes with the machine, home maybe). My cpu is a pentium quad core n4200, the laptop has 4 gb ram and 404 gb of hdd free of a total of 464 gb accdg. to windows explorer.

My issue is that windows 10 keeps hanging intermittently even when no programs are opened, to the point where I click on the windows icon and it takes a few minutes before the windows menu from the bar shows up.

It's so irritating because I open the machine to work but can't work for the first 45-60 minutes because of this.

I've attached the task manager screens, one is sorted by memory usage, the other by disk usage. Not sure why they're so high when no programs are running.

I hope you can help me fix this. I'm okay with 'deleting' or removing any of the useless or non-essential things that causing the slowdown.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• task manager sorte by disk usage.png
    task manager sorte by disk usage.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 538
  • task manager sorte by memory usage.png
    task manager sorte by memory usage.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 524
Reaction score
Please post the CPU usage column. I think it will be a better indication of the source of the problem. You could have a number of things going on when you first start up. Your virus scanner is working, W10 is checking for updates, etc. My systems are on 24/7 and I set everything I can to run while I'm asleep.

Reaction score
Here's the cpu usage.

Thanks for helping out.

Attachments

• task manager sort by cpu usage.png
    task manager sort by cpu usage.png
    51 KB · Views: 482

Ask a Question