Windows Update Stuck "Restoring Your Previous Version Of Windows"

Reaction score
I tried to up date 2 times but both time it doesn't get past 81% the I have to shut it off and restart and it says RESTORING YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS, CAN ANY ONE help????

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, select "Update and Security", "Troubleshoot" in the left column, then "Windows Update" in the right window.

Ben

Reaction score
THANK YOU FOR A QUICK REPLY I DID WHAT YOU SAID BUT IT DIDNT FIX THE PROBLYM?? IT SAID
POTENTIAL WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR DETECTED AND SAID NOT FIXED

Reaction score
I tried to up date 2 times but both time it doesn't get past 81% the I have to shut it off and restart and it says RESTORING YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF WINDOWS, CAN ANY ONE help????
What type of update are you trying? Most normal updates will not need to restore your previous version but will just fail. We always suggest you disconnect external USB devices and if you have any devices you can disable, it might help.

If it might be a earlier build update, logs are kept which might give you a clue. Look for a file called Setupact.log and check the date to see if it agrees with the failed attempt.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

Reaction score
I don't know what 'Windows Update' you are trying to update? Please state the exact update if its a featured update or a cumulative update? Furthermore, if you are trying to update a 'Windows cumulative update' of an OS Built e.g. 1803 then go to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4099479 as you can get a 'standalone' and download the appropriate download for your system and install them that way.

If you are after a 'featured Update' and this is especially relevant to the new Windows 10 update 1809 that is called 'Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)' release date: 2 October 2018, version: Windows 10, version 1809 OS built: 17763.1. I recommend that you 'DO NOT' use the 'Windows update' within 'Settings' and use the 'Windows 10 Update Assistant' that you can download from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and then use this tool to download/install this major update.

Attachments

• 'Windows 10 Update Assistant' .JPG
    'Windows 10 Update Assistant' .JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 584
Reaction score
Remove the wifi card. I had the same issue and removed the wifi card and hooked my pc directly up to the router, worked like a charm. Very easy to remove the wifi card. Remove side panel, unscrew wifi antenna, unscrew one screw holding wifi bracket in place, pull out wifi card. Leave it hooked up to your router because there are a lot of updates.

Reaction score
Remove the wifi card and hook your pc up to your router to dl the latest versions.

Reaction score
Remove the wifi card and hook your pc up to your router to dl the latest versions.

You don't have to go to that extent to disconnect and connect your WiFi in Win-10!

Go to the right side of the taskbar to >Broadband Connection>disconnect your WiFi, then, get an Ethernet cable and plug it straight into your laptop or desktop, then straight into your RJ45 modem, router plug or into a direct RJ45 wall plug, simple.

Reaction score
Simply looking for Update 1903 on MS site and install the same, all will be taken care off.
If you are looking for the v1903 (May 29, 2019—KB4497935 (OS Build 18362.145) then and firstly your system has to be ready and/or have all the updates of v1809 and be ready for the new v1903! The easiest way to install and know if v1903 is ready and/or can be installed is to
to do a 'Windows Update Troubleshooter' with 'wu10.diagcab' and see if you have any problems with your windows updater and/or system

Then go to MS site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 then download from there the 'Windows10Upgrade9252.exc' which is 6MB and go through the process of updating, note, this tool can be fickle and you might have to go through the process once or twice for it to update. I've just updated a Windows 10 Home (that had to download v1809 updates first) and it took me twice for the v1903 to update.

If the 'Windows10Upgrade9252.exc' tool does not work then, you have to do a 'clean install' and Create Windows 10 installation media from the same link as above, with 'MediaCreationTool1903.exe' which is 18.4MB. These are all the options for you. Hope this helps, cheers.

Reaction score
I had this problem also idid as StevenG suggested down load the 'MediaCreationTool1903.exe
and do a clean install make sure you back up your graphics software and sound drivers,and personal data.
Once done you have the latest OS 10 installed and clean updates to download.

Reaction score
How long do you wait to get past the 81%.? If the icon is moving it is trying to get past a (untrimmed or grossly fragmented Drive). I have seen some to take up to 3 hours.. Next you tried to update which method are you TRYING> ? (1) DL from Microsoft, (2) home brew UUP convert, or (3) unofficial DL.

Ask a Question