Windows Update Stuck on Loading Screen

Reaction score
I updated my computer last night to Windows 10, and went to bed while it updated. I woke up and it was stuck on the black loading screen that says Dell in a circle with the rotating white dots in a circle underneath. The dots are frozen as well. Doing Ctrl+Alt-Del doesn't do anything. I can turn it off with the power button and when it turns on it goes back to the loading screen and freezes again. How do I fix this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Disconnect any and all USB peripherals from your computer.
Any USB Dongles supporting wireless input devices (keyboard / mouse), any USB Dongles supporting wireless networking, even USB Printers.
Disconnect Ethernet cable if present.
Leaving only a USB wired keyboard and a USB wired mouse and monitor connected to your computer.
See if those actions might allow the upgrade to continue and finish.
Keep and eye on the hard disk activity light (if present) to see if you can determine if the upgrade is still proceeding

Abe

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Disconnect any and all USB peripherals from your computer.
Any USB Dongles supporting wireless input devices (keyboard / mouse), any USB Dongles supporting wireless networking, even USB Printers.
Disconnect Ethernet cable if present.
Leaving only a USB wired keyboard and a USB wired mouse and monitor connected to your computer.
See if those actions might allow the upgrade to continue and finish.
Keep and eye on the hard disk activity light (if present) to see if you can determine if the upgrade is still proceeding

I had this exact problem during a Windows 10 update today. This fix worked and allowed the update to complete but I still can't get it to boot up unless the wireless keyboard/mouse dongle is out. I am going to see if I have a wired keyboard stashed away somewhere and try that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question