Windows 10 April Update - Version 1803

Reaction score
What a complete waste of precious this is. I started the update on my desktop after breakfast and it didn't complete till after my lunch, some 7 hours later. I then decided to time the update on what I thought would be the fastest of the 4 family laptops we have, a Lenovo Z50 series. All 4 started the update at the same time. These are the times to the nearest minute: Initializing - 22, Preparing to install – 1 Hour 8 mins, Awaiting install –16, Downloading – 6, Installing – 2 hours 39 mins, Restart, configuring, updating – 1 hour 33 mins, After login - 48 mins. A total of 7 hours 16 minutes. Put into perspective, I could have started this update and assuming someone clicked restart, could have driven 11 miles to my local golf course, played 18 holes, showered, had a beer or two and driven home to find the update still in progress. (To be honest the Asus FX 503 beat the Lenovo Z50 by just under two minutes, the Lenovo Thinkpad X121E was by far the slowest at 8 hours 27 minutes). Totally ridiculous in my view. Can't Windows do better than this or at the very least warn users that the upgrade is so time consuming?

Reaction score
Took about an hour to download on my very slow internet connection. About 20 minutes to install. (three different computers.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
My experience was just as bad. The download was fast, less than 10 minutes....the install took 2 hours. I have a decent internet connection....go figure.

Reaction score
from initiating the update to the time where everything was finished: 2 hours

Bif

Reaction score
From start to finish, over 3 1/2 hours...
No expectations, no dissapointment.

Reaction score
The fastest machines took just as long to install as the slowest machines, over 1 hr. All 7 were done with in-place upgrade from iso file or flash drive created from iso.

Reaction score
yup - pile of crap as usual - bricked networking .. lost programs .. firewalls that do not know what its doing .. they could not get a keyboard and mouse to work with this crap - but they keep pushing it out - I really think its time for a class action lawsuit to - compensation for the lost work time and aggrevation

Reaction score
Both the machines I updated ( via Windows update) took a bit over an hour. Both updated with everything working properly except, as usual, they both lost the old W7/8 Solitaire games but I keep the install package for those in Onedrive.
1803 feels a bit faster on the desktop...just seems to boot faster.

Reaction score
It taken five tries to bet it downloaded and installed. Now comes the problem(s). This version 1803 wiped out all my usernames and passwords. Not only that is a pain, it won't allow me to reenter my information, saying it due to security reasons. It also won't allow me to re-register as some part of my username or password is in the security paks.

Reaction score
When upgrading from 1709 (.402) to 1803 how much data is required (approx)?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good question....
Assuming we're talking about data demands to download the actual file....
The 64 bit version is roughly 3.6 gigs in size. I'd say you could safely round up to 4 gigs and it could be higher with all the handshaking, sent and acknowledged, bits and bytes back and forth.
The 32 bit version is about 2.7 gigs in size.
IF you manage to actually monitor the process and determine how much is actually consumed, I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. Yes, I was interested in the download file size.

No wonder most of us are experiencing really long upgrade times.

Oh, the wonders of Windows for Workgroups OS and the small bunch of floppies it came on!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... things started to change considerably with Windows 95.
As I remember the upgrade version was either 12 or 15 diskettes and the full version was 21 or more diskettes.
Wonder what Windows 10 pro 64 bit would look like on floppies, all shrink wrapped in a pretty retail box.

6ft Man.png

Ask a Question