SOLVED Dual Boot with Win 10 ..... switching OS

Reaction score
In the other thread of mine, I mentioned about switching between Win 7 and Win 10 in dual boot.
What I said was incomplete and the thread was too long in my opinion to continue.
So, I am starting a new one here to clarify......
Logon to one of the OS, in the command prompt ( it does not have to be in admin mode ), enter the following.....
shutdown.exe /r/o
press Enter.
Repeat the same in the other OS.
Now when you want to switch, click Restart and you will have the black/white boot options screen to choose the other OS.

Note : By what I understand......./o is the parameter for Shutdown and /r is for Restart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess it would work, But how would that be faster then just restarting from the menu options?

Reaction score
Isn't it true that if you click Restart, it restarts back to the same os you are using ?
Maybe I am wrong as this is my first dual boot experience.

Reaction score
Restart will flush all memory and start fresh. If you have a Boot Menu, you will have the option to select which ever OS is listed in the menu. If the Menu has a timer and default OS selected, that OS will be the one booted after the timer.

Reaction score
I set my Win 7 as default, and no matter which OS I am using, when I click Restart, I have the option to choose which OS to use.

Reaction score
Sorry. Yes. Clifford is correct. I omitted the boot menu part. Of course, if you do nothing at that stage, it will, as I said, boot into your default.

Reaction score
You can change the time it takes to boot from either OS. Also when I boot from Windows 10 to Windows XP, the computer completely restarts - BIOS - then the XP start up boot menu. Even at that point I can decide to boot back into Windows 10, even though I told Windows 10 I wanted to boot into an earlier OS. Believe it has to do with MBR and the new boot partition table of 8.1 and 10. Decrease the required boot time and you will be there almost instantly.

Reaction score
Hi, Gibbs. I believe this thread was marked as solved about a year ago?

Ask a Question