Dual Boot Update to Windows 10

Reaction score
I am running Ubuntu 14.04, dual booting Windows 7. Now I would like this Windows 7 to update to Windows 10. When I start my computer, the Ubuntu boot loader (this should be grub 2) lets me choose which one to boot.

I have gone through the process a lot of times now, trying anything to my knowledge.

After the first reboot during the Win 10 update process with the media creation tool, I get the following error message:

0xC1900101 -0x20017
Installation was unsuccessful. In the phase SAFE_OS during the process BOOT an error occurred.

The advised methods (deleting drivers, uninstall WLAN & Bluetooth in BIOS) didn't work.

My assumption would be that the Ubuntu boot loader screws up the update process. If this is correct, can I change to use the Windows boot loader to complete the update and later change back to grub as default boot loader?

If that is of any help, my Windows 7 has some irregular booting/shutting down issues. Sometimes it shows a black screen with only the loading wheel while starting and only the blank background image while shutting down, forever.

Also I don't have set a password for the Windows section.

Reaction score
I have had this dual boot but some years ago. I found that I had to install Windows before Ubuntu and it then worked. Is that what you did when you first installed this machine?
Windows installer really expects Windows to be all there is on the machine.
Updating a system like that with W10 I am not surprised that it gets confused. I wonder if it would work if you replaced Grub 2 with the Windows boot system and re-installed Ubuntu afterwards?

Reaction score
Thanks Tim for your answer.
Windows was installed before Ubuntu.

How can I replace grub with the windows boot loader?

Ask a Question