Windows updates i get error 0x800705b4

Reaction score
Hi when i try to get windows updates after windows takes a long this looking i get the error 0x800705b4

I have tried most of the solutions on the web but nothing will remove this error

What can i do next please

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Have you tried the following:
  • Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options
  • Next remove the check next to Give me updates of other Microsoft products when I update Windows
  • Now check for updates and install those that come through
  • Afterwards, return to that Advanced options and replace that check mark then check for updates again and if any other updates are available they ought to come through and work too now.

Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Have you tried the following:
  • Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options
  • Next remove the check next to Give me updates of other Microsoft products when I update Windows
  • Now check for updates and install those that come through
  • Afterwards, return to that Advanced options and replace that check mark then check for updates again and if any other updates are available they ought to come through and work too now.
Hi thanks or the advice

Yes i have done that and i get the updates for windows ok but when i click the check mark for other Microsoft products i get the same error code 0x800705b4

Reaction score
As you say, Windows is taking a long time and the error means it timed out.

You don't have to check the box for testing and if it works normally in that configuration, what other Microsoft products do you have? I currently have the box checked for other products and it seems to work normally. If you do have an install of some other utility you might try getting updates for it directly or perhaps even see if you can do some type of repair install.

Since you haven't mentioned any other Networking problems I will assume your network access is working normally.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So which 'other Microsoft update' is giving you the trouble?

Have you removed the corrupt download of it yet before attempting to download it fresh?

Reaction score
Hi i have office 2013 thats all and its when i try to get updates for the office when it stops working

Reaction score
It seems I was having a situation with Office 2013 updates the other day and eventually did a manual update. Perhaps something has changed and you need do the same update.

Open Word and go to the File Tab. Then select Account and look to the right for the Office Updates option. See if that will install an update for you.

Right now mine is showing version 15.0.4823.1004 and this is not the online version.

Reaction score
It seems I was having a situation with Office 2013 updates the other day and eventually did a manual update. Perhaps something has changed and you need do the same update.

Open Word and go to the File Tab. Then select Account and look to the right for the Office Updates option. See if that will install an update for you.

Right now mine is showing version 15.0.4823.1004 and this is not the online version.

Ok i will have a look at that. but i think i have all the updates now its says your computer is upto date and the last updates were for office. but when i run outlook in office 2013 and get a new email i am not able to open it, delete or do anything with it.

it i just get the message below.

(Your Digital ID Name cannot be found by the underlying security system)

Has anyone got any ideas please

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have never had that situation but I found this link, which is old but may help. If not we can discuss it further but have you ever set up a Digital ID for Outlook?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/258527
Thank you for the link i will have a look at it.

No i have not set up a Digital ID for Outlook.

I have just realized that all the emails i was working on were all spam emails.

I dont know what happened yesterday i get the usual spam emails just a few, but yesterday i got 12 all spam, and i noticed this problem when i tried to mark them as junk.

As i looked at them they all had a digital certificate so i could not mark them as junk and not even delete them, and not see who had sent them.

But i can see my emails on my phone and i was able to delete them on my phone

I dont know what the spammers hope to achieve sending email that you cant open or view whats the point of that

Now these emails have gone Outlook is working ok now,

Reaction score
Maybe they are hoping you would change your security settings but not sure.. Anyway, something to watch out for.

Ask a Question