Windows 10 Error 0x80070643 trying to install updates?

Reaction score
My machine seems to be stuck on an update for Windows Defender and which seems to be stopping further updates from arriving? I've tried the .NET framework cleanup tool which made no difference. Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix?
Simon

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Are you running any other antivirus software apart from Windows Defender?

If you are then it is most likely that which has disabled Windows Defender from running and hence the update cannot work.

You'll need to in that case disable the autoprotect and firewall features of this other antivirus application first, then restart computer so you can then go turn on Windows Defender and then attempt to update again.

Assuming you have temporarily disabled another antivirus application and restarted computer:
  • In search / cortana box type Security & Mainenance and click on it when it appears
  • Click the drop arrow on Security banner then click to view installed apps
  • Select Windows Defender and turn on
  • Now run updates again
  • Once done you can if you want to re-enable your other antivirus protection (noting of course this will disable Windows Defender again). Restart computer if you choose to do this to ensure your System is running properly and is protected.
Alternatively, clicking Start > Settings > Updates & security > in left pane Windows Defender > then scroll down and click Open Windows Defender may also re-activate it so long as you have not disabled this via Group Policy Editor or used a registry tweak to disable it.

By the way with Windows Defender open you can update it directly within the Windows Defender app rather than via Windows Update Service.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks! Fixed! Why didn't I think of that? Norton Internet Security had disabled WinDefend. Presumably I'm going to have to do this every time Windows Defender gets an update?
Thanks again.
Simon

Regedit32

Reaction score
Norton Internet Security had disabled WinDefend. Presumably I'm going to have to do this every time Windows Defender gets an update?

Hi Simon,

Yes if another update comes through you will need to repeat the steps.

I use Norton 360 and thus far have not received any updates via Windows Update Service for Windows Defender. I assumed none came as Windows Defender is disabled. Not sure why you continue to receive them.

Anyway, glad its sorted now for you. Other updates ought to work fine although its usually a good idea to disable Norton autoprotect and smart firewall when installing updates. I usually choose the option to disable them permanently, then allow updates to do their thing (restart computer etcetera) and once all is done re-enable autoprotect and smart firewall for Norton.

I do the same if I choose to reinstall Windows 10 too.

Actually, come to think of it I did modify my registry to disable Windows Defender in the same way someone with Windows 10 Professional could do this using their Group Policy Editor (gpedit.exe). That may be why I do not receive updates via Windows Update Service.

If your issue is resolved do not forget to mark the thread as solved.

Ask a Question