Continuing Mystery - "Network error windows cannot access [computer]. You do not have permission.."

MFL

Reaction score
I have a private home network of Windows 10 computers. When I try to access a certain one from other computers on the network, the above error message always pops up. This is true whether I try in File Explorer or by \\[computer]. The computer is pingable. The folders I want to access on it all have full permissions for everyone and any other listed sharers. I have tried many things to get rid of the error message, but nothing has worked.

I just discovered an anomaly which may explain it, although not to me. If I try to access certain folders or files on the blocked computer through a couple of apps on another network computer, the apps can access the folders or files without a problem. I have not tried this on more apps, so I do not know if this is a bizarre general workaround. Can anyone figure out what is happening?

MFL

Reaction score
I tried some the command utilities and network reset . Nothing has worked.

MFL

Reaction score
More info has emerged. The folders I want to access on the other computer are all in external drives attached to it. Although I get the above message when I try to open the computer by name in the Network screen of File Explorer of another computer or when I run \\computer on another computer, if I run \\computer\x (for its external drive), x opens up and I can access its subfolders. However, if I run \\computer\x\subfolder, it returns the error message that it cannot find "computer\x\su".

Any explanation for this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That might indicate that whatever username and password you are using and used when you set up the shares....
That identity and its' associated permissions where not cascaded down to the child objects (files and folders) from the parent container.
You might be better recreating the shares with the appropriate permissions (user name and password) making sure to include subfolders and files when you do.

MFL

Reaction score
That might indicate that whatever username and password you are using and used when you set up the shares....
That identity and its' associated permissions where not cascaded down to the child objects (files and folders) from the parent container.
You might be better recreating the shares with the appropriate permissions (user name and password) making sure to include subfolders and files when you do.

I never had passwords on the shares.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically when you create a share it will automatically include "permissions", both "share" permissions which generally defaults to the "Everyone" group "Read", which you should change to "Full"
AND
Security (NTFS permissions) which will also have default permissions which will include groups, such as "Users" "Administrators" and may include individual users.

Your user account can be a member of any one or all of those groups and your user account will likely have a password associated with it, as a User Name and Password is the primary means of authenticating which level of permissions a user or group has to access those files.
This may help you understand what is happening when you are accessing shares across the network.
http://www.techexams.net/technotes/70290/permissions.shtml

Basically you'll be dealing with these two tabs

SharePermissions.png

AND

NTFS Permissions.png

MFL

Reaction score
None of the external drives or the folders I am trying to make accessible on the network has ever had a password. The share and security permissions have always been and are read & write and full.

MFL

Reaction score
I should add that I have a private network in another location and my different computer there is part of the that network. The same folders on the same external drive (which I move between networks) are accessible from other copmuters over the network.

MFL

Reaction score
The multi-year mystery continues. Other computers on my network get the Network Error - Windows cannot access \\[Computer] - You do not have permission....message when they click on Computer in network file explorer. I have done all the Services checks and other network things suggested on the web for this without any luck. The one exception is on a couple of network computers which can access specific shares on Computer via programs on them which were linked to those shares before Computer became inaccessible. For example, I can run backup programs on a couple of them in which the backup files are saved on Computer. However, these computers cannot access the backup files through file explorer, just through the backup program.

Incidentally, Computer has no trouble accessing shares on every other computer on the network.

Any ideas on solving the mystery? Thanks.

Ask a Question