Mystery account on lock screen

Reaction score
Good evening- I have a two day old install of Windows 10 on a Lenovo tap top. Things were going smoothly as I was learning the new system. This morning when I booted I was nagged for a password which should not happened as I have the check turned off. After failing with my password I realized this account was not my Microsoft account. I now had two accounts on the lock screen. I have no idea how the second account got made or what the user name and password are. On each boot it defaults to this account. In the account manager there is only my Microsoft administrator account listed. No friends or family.

I ran wmic useraccount list full at the command prompt to find four accounts listed- as follows

name= administrator (this should be my verified Microsoft account) (e-mail address removed)
disabled =true
password changeable= true, expiring=false, required=true
status=degraded

name= default account
disabled =true
password changeable= true, expiring=true, required=true
status=degraded

name= guest
disabled =true
password changeable= false, expiring=false, required=false
status=degraded

name= my name (i think this is the mystery account)
disabled = false
password changeable= true, expiring=false, required=true
status=OK

My question is how do I get rid of the unwanted account if it is not listed in the Account Manager ? Or find the user name and password ?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Regards

Reaction score
The list looks like that which I get. I also see an account called Homegroupuser$ probably because this computer has been in a homegroup in the past

That first Administrator account is what it says not you. It is the actual administrator.

The last one with your name is your real account

My machine is a regular W10 machine upgraded from W7 a years ago,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Tim above is correct in his assessment of your users.
I think that what you are seeing on the lock screen or sign-in screen is likely an aberration. A result of using the netplwiz utility on a Microsoft Account.
I can remember others reporting a similar issue.

Reaction score
If believe if you hit enter when it comes up with the Administrator log in screen it may let you gain access to the machine as the hidden Administrator. From there you can modify your user account "snafu" and add it to the Administrator group.
A similar event happen to me the second time I logged into Windows 10 after upgrading the day before.
It actually changed my local Administrator group account to a MS Account and changed my browser from Firefox to Chromium as the default browser.
I changed my user account back to local Admin group password protected, immediately ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes JRT (Junk removal tool) JRT found a nasty redirect program called "liveaddexchanger.com" Which many consider it malware. It repeatedly redirected me from Firefox to Chromium Browser. To make a long story short, I changed the hidden Administrator to password protected, active:no. Uninstalled the ugly browser Chromium and deleted "liveaddexchanger.com" That was the end of problems, I've been trouble free since December 2015. :D

Ask a Question