Mystery of missing OneDrive

Reaction score
This is truly the oddest thing. A few days ago OneDrive simply disappeared from my Windows 10 laptop! No icon appears on the bottom list. When I open Folders and click on 'OneDrive' (the familiar icon is there), it shows two empty folders, both of which are on my hard drive. It's as if it has completely separated from the one-line OneDrive.

Has anyone had this experience, and knows how to restore my link to my OneDrive records in the Cloud? I can still reach them on my Desktop (running Windows 8.1), and my iPhpone for that matter!

One of the reasons I like OneDrive is that I shouldn't therefore need to keep any of my space-consuming files on my C: drive, and only download them when I need them. But since it seems to pint only to my C: drive I have a choice of either keeping them there and constantly running out of space, or having no files and having to collect them off my Desktop then transferring them on memory sticks to my laptop when I want to work on them. Most annoying!

Thanks!

Reaction score
I am having similar issues with OneDrive. My folder only shows about 30% of my entire OneDrive and at first showed 801 files could not be uploaded. Working on my Surface Pro 3, I need to have access to the entire OneDrive, where nearly all of my documents are... or my computer is useless.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could this problem be related in any manner to the account you are using to log onto the computer locally with?
Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
Is it completely finished with all Windows Updates?
Have you checked your local time, date and time zone settings to confirm they are accurate?

Reaction score
Could this problem be related in any manner to the account you are using to log onto the computer locally with?
Have you checked your local time, date and time zone settings to confirm they are

accurate?
Have you checked your local time, date and time zone settings to confirm they are accurate?

Thanks for the reply so quickly.
I don't think that's it. I've been using Windows for a long time (and actually worked at Microsoft for close to 13 years) so I know when I'm logged in as my Microsoft account.
But...
..what I decided to do, was to UNLINK OneDrive from my system. It then gave me the new screen and initiated the OneDrive as if I was a new user and started it all over again. This time when it asked me if I wanted to sync all the folders, I checked the box to do so (as I did the first time I installed Windows 10, and it immediately started to list all of my folders in my Explorer and started to sync all of them. Now, I'm not sure how much drive space that is going to take. I had 51 gigs left before I started this, and now it is reading I have 22 gigs left. Hopefully, it doesn't take much more of my drive space. :( I also switched from Wi-Fi to direct network cable, figuring that it may be the speed and the amount of data it had to download on Wi-Fi, but I wasn't sure. I just figured using a cable is faster and a bit more reliable.

I'll report back later today, to see if it did, indeed get them all. I have a desktop that lists all of my OneDrive folders and files, so I can compare.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so quickly.
I don't think that's it. I've been using Windows for a long time (and actually worked at Microsoft for close to 13 years) so I know when I'm logged in as my Microsoft account.
But...
..what I decided to do, was to UNLINK OneDrive from my system. It then gave me the new screen and initiated the OneDrive as if I was a new user and started it all over again. This time when it asked me if I wanted to sync all the folders, I checked the box to do so (as I did the first time I installed Windows 10, and it immediately started to list all of my folders in my Explorer and started to sync all of them. Now, I'm not sure how much drive space that is going to take. I had 51 gigs left before I started this, and now it is reading I have 22 gigs left. Hopefully, it doesn't take much more of my drive space. :( I also switched from Wi-Fi to direct network cable, figuring that it may be the speed and the amount of data it had to download on Wi-Fi, but I wasn't sure. I just figured using a cable is faster and a bit more reliable.

I'll report back later today, to see if it did, indeed get them all. I have a desktop that lists all of my OneDrive folders and files, so I can compare.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Reporting Back 5/17/2015 at 4:22 Pacific Time
There is something wrong. Maybe it's me. In 8.1 I was able to synchronize my OneDrive without it actually saving the files on my local drive. Today, as OneDrive was "synchronizing" all my folders, I guess it downloads everything, instead of just allowing me to sync. So, of course I ran out of internal drive space (I only have 128 gig on my Surface Pro 3). So, I re-did it selecting only a few folders I wanted to "sync" The other folders no longer show up under my OneDrive folder. I went into the Users folder and found my OneDrive in there, opened the folder and of course it shows the same few folders. So, the way I see it, I can no longer use the File Explorer to go to all my OneDrive files. I must go to OneDrive.live.com?

Unless I am doing something very wrong, in 8.1 I did not have to download everything. I just went to my OneDrive folder and go to a folder in that, and select a file...like it used to be.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Reaction score
Reporting Back 5/17/2015 at 4:22 Pacific Time
There is something wrong. Maybe it's me. In 8.1 I was able to synchronize my OneDrive without it actually saving the files on my local drive. Today, as OneDrive was "synchronizing" all my folders, I guess it downloads everything, instead of just allowing me to sync. So, of course I ran out of internal drive space (I only have 128 gig on my Surface Pro 3). So, I re-did it selecting only a few folders I wanted to "sync" The other folders no longer show up under my OneDrive folder. I went into the Users folder and found my OneDrive in there, opened the folder and of course it shows the same few folders. So, the way I see it, I can no longer use the File Explorer to go to all my OneDrive files. I must go to OneDrive.live.com?

Unless I am doing something very wrong, in 8.1 I did not have to download everything. I just went to my OneDrive folder and go to a folder in that, and select a file...like it used to be.

Am I the only one seeing this?

6:00 PM
Well, I believe I found my answer:

Smart files (placeholders) are going away. Instead of making OneDrive in Windows 10 work like it does in Windows 8.1, it will instead revert to the way the sync client works elsewhere.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/heres-whats-really-happening-onedrive-windows-10

I guess, we will have to go to OneDrive.live.com to get to folders and files that are not "synchronized"

Ask a Question