Hotmail and Outlook accounts

Reaction score
I have a new laptop with Windows 10. I cannot link my Hotmail account to the Outlook account on it, it just keeps sending me round in circles with a 2 step verification process and various codes and authentication options, none of which works. I am now locked out of my Hotmail account on my phone too but not my IPAD. Been going round in circles for days. Please help!

Reaction score
If the preambles (username@) are both the same, then there is no difference.
Outlook and/or Hotmail are the same thing and the Hotmail address will be automatically rerouted into Outlook.

Reaction score
If the preambles (username@) are both the same, then there is no difference.
Outlook and/or Hotmail are the same thing and the Hotmail address will be automatically rerouted into Outlook.
That's what I thought but the Outlook email has an 01 after the preamble and before the@ whereas the Hotmail doesn't contain numbers. Every time it sends me into this cycle of 2 step verification it asks if I want to send the code to a Hotmail address which has the 01 in it but I didn't think it existed so have been going round in circles. Should I tell it to send it to that and assume it is the same as the Outlook account, or will that kick me back out again? I have managed to restore Hotmail on my ipad for now so at least have something working, just not on the phone or laptop! Thanks for your help and further advice guys, it is much appreciated. I'm not that tech savvy so this probably seems simple to you on this forum but it has been driving me mad with frustration!

Reaction score
Right, I have both and using hotmail.com or outlook.com they go to outlook.live.com.
That's what I thought but the Outlook email has an 01 after the preamble and before the@ whereas the Hotmail doesn't contain numbers. Every time it sends me into this cycle of 2 step verification it asks if I want to send the code to a Hotmail address which has the 01 in it but I didn't think it existed so have been going round in circles. Should I tell it to send it to that and assume it is the same as the Outlook account, or will that kick me back out again? I have managed to restore Hotmail on my ipad for now so at least have something working, just not on the phone or laptop! Thanks for your help and further advice guys, it is much appreciated. I'm not that tech savvy so this probably seems simple to you on this forum but it has been driving me mad with frustration!

Reaction score
Isn't there an option to have the MFA code sent to your mobile number, via text message?
Try that option...

Reaction score
You'll need to log on to both accounts in Oullook.com and go through the settings in each account. Either turn off 2 step log on or put in your cell phone so they can text you a number to input. At this time you may need tech support help to get back into your actual accounts where you can fix the settings.

We have had two major upgrades to Microsoft mail whichever version there all the same. First, they moved everything to an Exchange server, that created many changes that have to have settings set up. then in the last couple of months, they have changed the GUI, again with many settings you have to look and decide about. Both of these upgrades trashed all our Rules so they all have to be set up again. To the good, setting up rules are now quite easy to accomplish

Reaction score
I think we are all shooting in the dark, here.
Natalie. Who created these accounts, and how did it happen that one (Outlook) was already on the computer when you bought it. What do you mean by "trying to link"?

Reaction score
https://outlook.live.com/owa/ try to log in to your actual account, doesn't matter if its Hotmail, live, MSN, outlook they are all the same now. If you can't get logged in then you'll need to contact MS support to get back into your account they also can delete the ghost account or if you have data in both merge them into your intentional account.

Ask a Question