How to rename Hotmail account after reconnecting on Outlook 2013

Reaction score
Hello,

By default, when adding hotmail accounts on Outlook using EAS, the account got added with FULL HOTMAIL NAME:
(e-mail address removed).

There was a process by which the left pane of Outlook showed any Name that user wanted.

Now with reconnecting Hotmail account in Outlook (going to Exchange), the same situation of FULL HOTMAIL NAME in the left panel has come up.

The older process (with EAS) does not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Outlook-2013.pdf
    114.7 KB · Views: 422

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In Outlook, menu / tab bar, select "File" -> Account Settings Icon and then Account Settings again just below when you click it.
Select your account and then click the Change icon / link near the top
Uncheck the Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked and click "More Settings" button.
General tab. Give it whatever name you want. and click OK.
That is what should appear in the left Navigation pane in Outlook.

Reaction score
In Outlook, menu / tab bar, select "File" -> Account Settings Icon and then Account Settings again just below when you click it.
Select your account and then click the Change icon / link near the top
Uncheck the Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked and click "More Settings" button.
General tab. Give it whatever name you want. and click OK.
That is what should appear in the left Navigation pane in Outlook.

Afraid that does not work. Because (and this is ONLY for HOTMAIL accounts), when i go to your step "click the Change icon / link near the top", there is nothing to uncheck and the Name textbox is greyed out.

Did you try it with a hotmail account?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, it must have something to do with Exchange / Active Sync.
This is what I see, but......
I have both my Hotmail.com / Outlook.com configured as IMAP/SMTP

Capture.PNG

Actually upon rechecking one is configured as POP3/SMTP and the other is IMAP/SMTP.

Reaction score
Sorry, it must have something to do with Exchange / Active Sync.
This is what I see, but......
I have both my Hotmail.com / Outlook.com configured as IMAP/SMTP

View attachment 6782

Actually upon rechecking one is configured as POP3/SMTP and the other is IMAP/SMTP.

I thought that Microsoft has migrated all Hotmail accounts to Exchange and there isn't another way to configure those accounts. MS sent several emails regarding that and after a certain date, those accounts did not retrieve new emails till I changed the configuration to Exchange.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope..... that was something called Live Mail.

IMAP.PNG

POP.PNG

Reaction score
Nope..... that was something called Live Mail.

What version of Outlook are you using? Perhaps earlier than 2013?

Following is the email from Microsoft
-------Begin ---------
Dear Outlook.com customer,
Earlier this year, Microsoft introduced the new Outlook.com, which provides a business-class email experience to help you stay connected and get more done. Now that you have been upgraded to the new Outlook.com, it’s necessary that you reconnect Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013 to your Outlook.com account. As someone who has an Outlook.com email account connected to a desktop version of Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013, you’re receiving this final reminder because you have not yet reconnected your account.
What to do: Reconnect your desktop version of Outlook to your Outlook.com account to ensure uninterrupted email access. If you do not reconnect your account, your Outlook.com emails will soon stop syncing to Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013. Once you reconnect, your Outlook.com emails will resume syncing to your desktop version of Outlook.
For detailed instructions and help on how to reconnect your account, please visit the official Microsoft support website at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=837697.
Note that this change only affects any Outlook.com accounts you are accessing via Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013; you do not need to reconnect to your other email accounts, such as Office 365, Exchange, or other third party email accounts. You can also continue to send, receive, and access email from your Outlook.com account on the web via any popular web browser.
We recognize that reconnecting your account is inconvenient, but this step will ensure that you are able to take full advantage of the new Outlook.com over a more secure and reliable infrastructure. If you have any questions not answered by the support article above, please contact customer support at: https://support.office.com/home/chat.
Thank you for being an Outlook.com customer,
The Outlook.com team

----End---------------

Reaction score
Outlook 2016 as part of Office 365 (also 2016).

Thanks.

I think the following statement from the MS email might explain the situation:
"Note that this change only affects any Outlook.com accounts you are accessing via Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013; you do not need to reconnect to your other email accounts, such as Office 365, Exchange, or other third party email accounts"

I used Outlook 2013 and am currently using Outlook 2016 part of Office-2016 NOT Office-365.

So I guess Office 2013 and 2016 are getting "special" treatment. Thanks MS...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... I suppose anything is possible.
I always thought that the only difference between Office 365 and Office Pro or Pro Plus was......
One you rent and one you own.
Subscription versus perpetual license.

I'm certain I received the same email although it was probably during one of my clean install periods, in which case I may have complied without actually knowing I had done so, by reinstalling Office and setting up my accounts again and then pointing them at my .pst file.

Ask a Question