SOLVED Cannot "Rename" Word Pad Documents

Reaction score
For some reason I can no longer rename documents that I've created in Word Pad....usually done by Right click of mouse & select "rename". Also, have tried the rename Icon at the top of screen in folders that contain the WP documents & hovering the document & pressing F2 key. Nothing works. Is there another way to accomplish this action? I use this action a lot simply 'cause I type too fast & misspell way too much.
THANKS!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jenny,

I have not come across this particular issue before.

• When you right click and choose rename - are you saying after entering a new name and clicking OK or pressing Enter key the new name does not take and you are left with the old name?
  • Or are you unable to right click the file at all?
  • Or are you able to right click but the option "Rename" is not in the context menu?

In the meanwhile there is another way to do this until we can resolve the usual method.
  • Let's say you have a file on your Desktop named Document.rtf
  • I'll assume for this example your username is Jenny
  • Press Winkey + X | select Command Prompt
  • Your Command Prompt window will open to C:\Users\Jenny>
  • Type cd desktop | then press enter key
  • You will now be at C:\Users\Jenny\Desktop>
  • Now type the following to rename Document.rtf (for this example I will rename to JennyDoc.rtf)
    • rename Document.rtf JennyDoc.rtf
    • Press enter key to execute
  • Type exit to close Command Prompt

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jenny,

I have not come across this particular issue before.

• When you right click and choose rename - are you saying after entering a new name and clicking OK or pressing Enter key the new name does not take and you are left with the old name?
  • Or are you unable to right click the file at all?
  • Or are you able to right click but the option "Rename" is not in the context menu?

In the meanwhile there is another way to do this until we can resolve the usual method.
  • Let's say you have a file on your Desktop named Document.rtf
  • I'll assume for this example your username is Jenny
  • Press Winkey + X | select Command Prompt
  • Your Command Prompt window will open to C:\Users\Jenny>
  • Type cd desktop | then press enter key
  • You will now be at C:\Users\Jenny\Desktop>
  • Now type the following to rename Document.rtf (for this example I will rename to JennyDoc.rtf)
    • rename Document.rtf JennyDoc.rtf
    • Press enter key to execute
  • Type exit to close Command Prompt

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Regedit32. I was not able to completely follow through on your suggestion as I got confused on the step by step.

So, I am saying that when I hover a particular document in a folder and I right click to select rename, before I can put my cursor in the spot where I want to change a word in the title, it flips back to the original name.

Nevertheless, I have found that I can drag the document I want to rename to my desktop, right click on it, click rename and make the change. Then, drag it back to the folder it was in. Makes me think there is something within the folder tool bar at the top that is checked or unchecked that is preventing me from renaming a document while in the folder. Don't know what it would be.
Jenny

Regedit32

Reaction score
So, I am saying that when I hover a particular document in a folder and I right click to select rename, before I can put my cursor in the spot where I want to change a word in the title, it flips back to the original name.

Hi Jenny,

It sounds like your folder is refreshing before you can action your renaming.

That may be something to do with a theme you have running. Some of the Wallpaper themes and slide shows have a refresh rate 1 - 5 seconds. If the refresh triggers that may cause the symptom you are experiencing.

As I said though I've not run into this bug before so I'll allow someone who has to offer any solution to the issue.

In the meanwhile one way you could try other than the suggestion I gave in earlier post is this:
  • Right click the file you want to rename
  • Select Properties
  • On the General tab replace the file name and extension with your new name and extension. For example if your file is called Document.rtf and you want to call it Text Document then replace that name with:
    • Text Document.rtf
    • Note: you MUST include the file extension (i.e. the .RTF, or .TXT, etcetera)
  • Finally click OK

With any luck that may not refresh on you and allow you to for now rename the file.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You may have the background slide show on? This has been known to cause this problem.
Settings - Personalisation - Background

Reaction score
I do have the slideshow on....have found this harder to work with than in Win 7. But it was changing about every few seconds of which there is no setting for. Must have been in some mysterious loop. The shortest time is 1 minute. So I made a made a change in how often the pictures change and it solved the renaming problem.

You people are soooooo smart! Appreciate both Regedit32 and davehc for helping!
Jenny

Regedit32

Reaction score
I do have the slideshow on....have found this harder to work with than in Win 7. But it was changing about every few seconds of which there is no setting for. Must have been in some mysterious loop. The shortest time is 1 minute. So I made a made a change in how often the pictures change and it solved the renaming problem.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for letting the forum know the steps you took to resolve your issue. It's not a case of any one individual being smarter than another here; the shared experiences of the community here in this forum benefit us all, and help us all learn the ins and outs of Windows 10.

Now that you have discovered how this one setting allowed you to be able to rename your files you could share that with Microsoft using their Built in Feedback tool. This information helps their developers who are constantly working on ways to resolve issues and improve the Windows experiences for the global community using it.

If you want to do this then:
  • In search box type Windows Feedback | then press your Enter key
  • If you've not used this before it will take a few seconds for the window to populate.
  • When its ready in the left pane click on Files, Folders, and Online Storage
  • Next in the left pane click on Copy, delete, and rename
  • Next in the right pane click Add new feedback
  • Choose the options you want in the window that appears and give them your solution to your issue. Once you've said what you want to say, just click Post Feedback

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Last edited:

Ask a Question