SOLVED Cannot rename new folders in File Explorer

Reaction score
Hi, I had trouble making new flders in File Explorer last week but managed to fix that (at least for a day). I can now make new folders again, either via the tool bar or by right-clicking, but once the folder exists, when I try to re-name it I get an error window popping up that says: Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.
I just got the computer to make the folder, why can't it find it? Please help if you can, I'm not a natural at this and am losing work time. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure why this happens from time to time but we've heard some complaints about File Explorer lagging, instead of refreshing the view automatically and promptly.
Try manually refreshing before renaming and see if that helps.
You can use the refresh icon at the right end of the address bar, or you can simply right click within file explorer (any blank area) and choose refresh from the context menu.
See if the helps at all.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Just gave that a go, but no change. I have also tried the sfc /scannow today and it returned no problems. I just don't understand how the computer can make a folder and then not find it when I try to rename it. My work is filing scans for charity, so without nameable folders I am useless. Any other suggestions very welcome. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Two other things you might try to see if they help......

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode (hold the shift key while clicking restart) navigate the screens to Startup Settings when it restarts choose #4 (generic safe mode) see if you can rename a folder in file explorer now.
Reboot back into normal mode and let us know if that had any impact on the problem.

2. Create a new user account as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user). Log off from your account and log on as the new user. Just to see if the problem is profile specific or global.

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Trouble. I tried the two suggestions about Safe Mode and creating a new local administrator account, but neither worked. When I came back to reply and tell you that, I saw the next suggestion with the zip file fix, and that seems to have worked a treat, even though I got an error message after I tried it, which I think said that not all the settings could be accepted (or similar). When I restarted, it seemed to work anyway. I hadn't even noticed that I had duplicate icons with no text, as the fix description detailed.
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to search for that - I've been looking on forums all day and not had any joy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just glad to hear that it worked for you.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question