SOLVED Cannot access Windows 7 computers from network explorer

Reaction score
My cpmputer Windows 10 prof 64 bits , computer Dell XPS 8910 40 GB memory 1 TB hard drive

Antivirus "Norton Security Suite"
I can see Windows 7 computers in network menu explorer

I can ping Windows 7 computers

I can use Remote Desktop to connect to windows 7 computers

The problem in cannot use Windows 7 resourses loke directories and printers

Before problem was resulved via "Home Group", after last update Home Group in windows gone.

What is work around that problem
Network.png
Ping.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
The latest Windows 7 update KB4480970 seems to have resulted in network issues, so....
My advise would be to see if you have it installed
IF so, uninstall it
Test to see if that fixes your issue(s)
Then proactively, run Windows Update again manually and when you see it, right click it and choose hide.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...updates-causing-network-and-license-problems/

https://www.itpro.co.uk/microsoft-w...rs-report-network-errors-after-january-update

Thank you I tryed
update.png

Reaction score
Yes, Homegroup is gone in 10. the workaround is to go back to workgroups yes the same one we used for years. Once you have your Workgroup set up, I usually have the EXACT same Admin user on all networked computer. So I share to "Authorized Users" the User only has to be on the computer it doesn't need to be running in that profile just has to be on the computer.
Ensure that SMB 1.0 is turned off.
Then ensure that
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
these services have to be running and set to autostart. You'll type in services.msc and right click and run as admin.

One Point, be sure that each computer has the exact same Admin User Clinton J Wright is not the same as Clinton J. Wright this alone threw me off for a couple of days one time. Windows 10 does not make it easy for us to run P2P or workgroup networks but it can be done, I have 5 units in my workgroup presently. The only Issue I have is every once in a while I'll have to go restart the
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
On the Windows 7 machine(s)
Run CMD as Administrator
type "wusa /uninstall /kb:4480970"
Rest is self explanatory.

Ask a Question