SOLVED Cannot Access Command Prompt In Windows10

Reaction score
I changed the attributes in c:\users and now all the files are hidden. It also resulted in not being able to access the command prompt, making it impossible to change the attributes back. Help would be appreciated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you've simply given the files the "hidden" attribute and are unable to see them, you can change you folder options to show hidden and system files

HideExtensions.JPG

The one where I have the radio button select, two above the one outlined in Red.
Also just below if they have a "System" attribute you can uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
Just remember to change them back when you're done.

Reaction score
Have you tried right clicking the start button to select the command prompt

Reaction score
This Q caught my eye as I could not find Command Prompt either so I went looking ... taking into account I have Classic Shell loaded to provide W7- like programs list ... anyway I scrolled through and found under "Programs " scroll to "Windows Administrative Tools" then "System Configuration" and select "Tools" button then scroll down to & left click "Command Prompt" finally click the "Launch" button ... Bingo ... the Command window opens ... Pin to Task Bar ...

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
cmd.exe should be located here C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
I just wasn't completely sure as to how much functionality the OP had for browsing folders if he had set hidden attributes
the attributes in c:\users and now all the files are hidden

Reaction score
I don't have any idea if the op is using the classic shell, but the command prompt is also, in the normal start menu down under
"Windows System"

Reaction score
Would you buy a new chainsaw with no engine or a new car with no seats ...MS should not have released W10 .. or W8 / W7 /XP without it functioning correctly ... where is their warranty / return policies ... we ... the world... have allowed them to ge away with daylight robbery ...

Reaction score
I am sorry. I have no idea what your enigmatic posts are about, particularly in this thread. But, drifting from the thread title, if you are very unhappy with Windows 10, then it is not of any use, for those seeking help, for you to contribute such posts.
fwiw. Windows 10 is running, for me and friends, family, and colleagues, as well, if not better, than its predecessors.

Reaction score
I see the OP only made one post and marked the thread as solved. Great pity. For the sake of other users, it might have been helpful to know his solution.

Ask a Question