Elevated Command Prompt

Elevated Command Prompt

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Elevated Command Prompt - How to open an elevated (or run as administrator) command prompt.

There are many command line tools that may be useful to Windows 10 users, but quite often these will need administrative permission to run. Even if you are logged in as an admin, you will need to open an elevated command prompt to perform these tasks.

To begin, click the Start Menu and type cmd. You should see Command Prompt listed on the start menu:

Right click the command prompt text and select Run as Administrator:...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Like to add for the typing challenged, cut and paste using the mouse has been added to the command prompt in the latest Win 10 builds. Control-V still does not work.

Reaction score
The advice here is not quite right. A right click on the Start Menu now offers "Windows Power Shell (Admin)" which does not behave entirely the same as good old cmd.exe. So new advice is required to get an elevated command prompt in the old shell.

If you have an icon for cmd.exe on your Start Page, there is no longer a "Run as admin" option when you right click it. You have to follow the "More" 'link' to get into the folder containing the shortcut to cmd.exe, where the right click does offer the admin option.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The advice here is not quite right. A right click on the Start Menu now offers "Windows Power Shell (Admin)" which does not behave entirely the same as good old cmd.exe. So new advice is required to get an elevated command prompt in the old shell.
Not sure what you are seeing but the default now is "Command Prompt" used to be PowerShell in Windows 8 and maybe even Windows 8.1 so if you upgraded you may have to change that in the Taskbar properties by checking the box appropriately, under the navigation tab.

Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
Not sure what you are seeing but the default now is "Command Prompt" used to be PowerShell in Windows 8 and maybe even Windows 8.1 so if you upgraded you may have to change that in the Taskbar properties by checking the box appropriately, under the navigation tab.

Thank you. I was unaware of the Navigation configuration option; but it did change from cmd.exe to PowerShell when I upgraded. I put it back to cmd.exe. I also erred claiming "Admin" was hard from the Start Screen. It is on the "More" submenu. Not sure why I did not see it there the first time; so apologies for that confusion.

Ask a Question