How to fix the "open with" command

Reaction score
Hi, I used to have several choices when I right clicked the "open with " command. Now, the only choice I have is Paint and
Paint 3D and Sketchbook.
I have downloaded and used Google Photos and would like to use it as the "open with' command.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance for any help. Ann

Reaction score
Thank you both for writing. In the "open with " command, Google Photos is not an option, even going to the "more apps" doesn't help.
I have also installed and tried to reinstall a number of times the "Backup and Sync" feature. I guess that this is the only way to install Google Photos. Each time I get the message:" Backup and Sync already running" and then nothing else happens.
If I try to add an image from my desktop as an attachment, my only choice is Paint. If I don't use Paint, the attachment doesn't open.
I sure miss Picasa!!!
Do you or anybody else have any suggestions for using the Open With command for Google Photos?

Reaction score
I'm not even sure this can be done. I suggest you right-click a picture file, select "Open with", then select "Search the store". There are free Apps that might do exactly what to are trying to do.

Ben

Reaction score
It seems that the "open with" feature can't be used with Google Photos. This is very disappointing and a very definite drawback for me.
Again, thank you both for taking the time to write. Ann

Reaction score
Hi Anneliese,

have you checked in Settings > Apps > Default apps and see if Google Photos shows up there?: :)

default apps.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you, Wolfie. Yes, I have gone through the default apps setting and reg. apps settings. I have also tried to reinstall Google Photos. Nothing has helped.
Apparently, the "open with" command is not possible with G. Photos.
I hope that this will change at some point. This is very disappointing to me. It is nice to be able to save pics in the cloud but it's more important to me to be able to access my desktop photos. In the past, I have always saved them to my flash and external hdd.
When I copy or drag a photo from G. Photo to my desktop, it has the Google Chrome Icon and I am unable to send it as an email attachment. I can't even see what kind of file format it is in order to possibly change it. With Google Photos

Reaction score
Oops...I didn't finish...

When “sharing” some Google Photos with friends it works sometimes but not always.

It is nice to be able to store pics in the cloud, but it's more important to me to be able to send them as an attachment via email. In the past when using Picasa, I backed up my photos on flash or ext. hdd.,
which worked fine.
So, those are my concerns with Google Photos. Hopefully, those items will be addressed in the future.
In the meantime I also downloaded Irfanview, which works fine to bridge the gap. Irfanview is a very good program but has many more features than I need. Picasa was just right for me....Too bad...

So, thank you again for writing. Ann

Reaction score
Thank you both for writing. I have downloaded Picasa again in the past but since it's not supported anymore, it doesn't work well.
I have downloaded Google Photos a number of times, all with the same results.
I have an icon for" Backup n Sync" on my desktop, but when I click on it, it tells me that it's already running and nothing happens. I'm not able to place a desktop icon for Google Drive. Also, "Google Photos" and" Backup n Sync" has not listed the Program/ Features Lineup. Hopefully, those issues/ shortcomings will be addressed at some time in the future. In the meantime, I just have to learn Irfanview..
Again, thank you so much for all or your help and suggestions. Ann

Reaction score
Hi Ann,

I don't use cloud storage (I certainly wouldn't trust Google, MS or Apple with any of my data), I also cannot find any info about problems with the app so cannot really help you further; sorry. :)

Reaction score
I use and trust cloud sites so i can share files and update those files from multiple devices a keep the versions of those files uniform.

Ask a Question