How to fix windows 10 black desktop issue?

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Version (OS build 15063.138)

All was working fine.

Suddenly some services under svchost.exe started using high bandwidth. I mistakenly blocked it through the firewall.

I was logged in at that time and all was working fine.

When I shut down my pc and booted again and log in, it shows the screen which windows show when a new user sign in the first time.

I waited for 15 minutes but it was in a loop.

I restarted pc. Tired to log in again. Now, a black desktop showed up and desktop not working.

I tried to restore windows to an earlier point from other account but restore failed 2 times.

I also allowed svchost.exe from the firewall.

Tried Registry SHELL tweak but didn’t work.

Now, that account is corrupted but other accounts are working fine.

In safe mode, the courted account shows data but no app not starts.

Tweeking.com Windows repair app is also crashing.

Tried this also in cmd

reg load HKU\Temp D:\Users\paul\Ntuser.dat

reg add "HKU\Temp\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Desktop /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d ^%USERPROFILE^%\Desktop /f

Commands ran successfully, but problem not solved.

Reaction score
Your build is very much out of date. I would suggest you check for updates first.

Reaction score

All was working fine.

Suddenly some services under svchost.exe started using high bandwidth. I mistakenly blocked it through the firewall.

When I shut down my pc and booted again and log in, it shows the screen which windows show when a new user sign in the first time.

I restarted pc. Tired to log in again. Now, a black desktop showed up and desktop not working.

I tried to restore windows to an earlier point from other account but restore failed 2 times.

Tried this also in cmd

reg add "HKU\Temp\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Desktop /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d ^%USERPROFILE^%\Desktop /f

Yes, download the latest window iso from MCT allow the tool to create an install USB Thumb Drive 8 GB. Then once in windows run the setup.exe this will run a repair install and upgrade at the same time should bring you up to date and fix your issue. How to do an in-place upgrade repair install Be sure to select to keep your files and setting. You'll only have to fix a few settings you won't lose any software install some may need a quick repair reinstall. You won't lose any data!! Of course, as always back up your system before starting any WU or Repair Install. It's much easier to restore a disk/SSD Image than to Clean install an OS should things go wrong at any time. In fact, if you have a Disk/SSD Image Or C: Partition Image that you created before changing that setting that screwed you restoring that Image will put you back where you were when you made that Image. Top of the line for this is Macrium Reflect Free

Last edited:
Reaction score
This may be getting old on here, but I fixed mine by installing Linux Mint 17.3. Now I have Linux Mint 18.2 and Linux Mint 19.0 on my other two computers. I only have a windows copy on my laptop which is also running Linux Mint 17.3. Why do I have a dual boot on my Laptop? Just in case I need to run a program which only works in Windows.... so far I have not booted into a Windows system in over a year.

BTW: when I do an upgrade/update on any of my Linux systems:

1. It upgrades when I tell it to, not when it wants to

2. It upgrades only what I tell it to, not what it wants to

3. It knows not only about the OS, but every program and application and will at my direction update them too if they need to be updated.

4. It updates/upgrades on the fly. In other words, I start the process and it runs in a separate window while I am able to continue to do whatever else I want with the computer while it upgrades.

5. I never have to reboot. The upgrade never reboots. (Ok, it does if and only if I want to install a new kernel and even there only if I want it to.... the new kernel can be installed without rebooting but will not be active until a reboot.... whenever I decide to reboot the computer.)

6. Oh.... and I don't get a black screen, nor a blue screen of death.... and the system is much faster.

Stepping down from my soapbox.

Reaction score

All was working fine.

Tried this also in cmd

Firstly, it’s the “Windows 10 Version 1703 and its OS build 15063.1387” is what you have and not the OS build 15063.138 that you have quoted. Secondly, you are still missing 3 OS builds to be up to date for version 1703. Then, you need versions 1709, 1803 and 1809 to have the complete windows 10 versions and OS builds and be up to date. Now, version 1709 has 42 OS updates builds then, 1803 has 17 OS updates builds, then, 1809 has 4 updates builds that is how far your system is behind. All together you are 66 OS builds behind (to see all of the versions and OS builds for windows 10, see this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4464619) as no wonder that your system is locking up and you are getting into those black screen problems

What I suggest is this, use your internal “windows update” (if you can get into your windows 10 and into windows update) to try to do an internal update of windows 10 to the latest version, which is 1809 - December 5, 2018—KB4469342 (OS Build 17763.168).

if you cant do that then, download the “Update Assistant” from this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and try to update (to latest verion and OS build) that way, if that does not work then, under the same link, use the “Create Windows 10 installation media” download this and run program, then on the second screen this does have an option of (see attachments) “Upgrade this PC now” use that, to upgrade your PC to the latest version and OS build of windows 10. If that does not work then, you have to “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC (which is the second option on this program. These are your options, hope this helps:)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 395
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG